Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Be quiet and calm my countrymen: the story of SS MENDI.

seaJane

Wed, 20 February 2019

18:00 – 19:30 GMT

University of Portsmouth

Free, but book tickets by Eventbrite.

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/be-quiet-and-calm-my-countrymen-the-story-of-ss-mendi-tickets-56114165981?

In February 21st, 1917, SS Mendi sank south of the Isle of Wight, killing 646 of those on board, most of whom were from the South African Native Labour Corps. Their role was to build the railways, trenches, camps and roads upon which the Allied war effort depended. They were not allowed to bear arms, were kept segregated, and were not eligible for military honours.

<< snip >>

The University of Portsmouth is delighted to host a commemoration event in partnership with the South African High Commission, to keep alive the memory of the bravery of those who lost their lives on this day over 100 years ago. The presentation panel will comprise Her Excellency Ms Nomatemba Tambo, High Commissioner of the Republic of South Africa, Graham Scott from Wessex Archeology, Martin Woodward, and Dr Matthew Heaslip from the University of Portsmouth.

Date: Wednesday 20 February 2019
Time: 6:00-7:00 pm, followed by a drinks reception
Venue: University of Portsmouth, Richmond Building, Lecture Theatre 1, Portland Street, Portsmouth PO1 3DE

Pay-and-display parking is available in the Milldam Car Park after 5pm (Burnaby Road, PO1 3RE)

Are you going Jane? I booked my ticket about 5 minutes ago.

Keith

Not yet decided, Keith - may be in need of a quiet evening :)

Has anybody ever read 'U-boat stories' edited by the German marine artist, Claus Berger ?  It provides a somewhat challenging dimension to the Mendi tragedy