Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

WhiteStarLine

Villers-Bretonneux: Looking for the Calvary, from Rue de la Gare

WhiteStarLine

Hi, slowly I am adding to identified locations for my grandfather's photographs.  Yesterday I saw on Delcampe a postcard that exactly matched an unknown location.  The 2 photographers were within 5 metres of each other.  Sapper Frost's 1918 photo is simply labelled Villers Brett, with no other details:

2010954089_Villers-BretonneuxESF.jpg.396000c1111e3b8edbe39c8cab709f58.jpg

The Delcampe card is entitled Villers Bretonneux Rue de la Gare prise du Calvaire or Station's street taken from the Calvary.  Their photographer was forward of the first telegraph pole shown above.

1498834274_VillersBretonneuxRuedelaGarepriseduCalvaire.PNG.5260bac559f719587e9f66ec6e0afeb8.PNG

Can anyone hazard insight into where this is?  A candidate is the corner of Rue de la Gare at Place de la Liberation, with Crucifix Corner to the south.  If so, between the 2 telegraph poles is the road clearly visible in the postcard and in the modern Street View image.

1256901401_VillersBretonneuxRuedelaGareStreetView.PNG.bcc4696da1d46fa6e8a5d03ed114c09b.PNG

If Calvaire means anything to you, please chime in.  Thanks for looking.

Ken Lees

Calvaire is a calvary, or a wayside cross such as those seen outside many villages in France

WhiteStarLine

Excellent, thanks.  I'll start looking for a trench map with crucifix.

You helped me with a Suzanne photo, so thanks for the continuing assistance.

Edit:

Here is a 5th Division AIF April 1918 map showing clearly that the town ended where both photographs were taken from, suggesting that the crucifix must be close by,  It was a Y junction, not a cross road, back then.

image.png.1b0e048723901fe8605065dea17253c4.png

Edited by WhiteStarLine
Added map

WhiteStarLine

OK, pretty well got it now.  Zooming within the original shows the distinctive church remains (RHS) and a tower (LHS):

image.png.fb6b0e545949e31ba7a6dcf29717bd7c.png

These are clearly visible in another card taken further up Rue de la Gare:

image.png.7b470a03df8984c8820bd35e48638f75.png

MartH

If you go to google maps and move up you can see the house on the right and its window.

Check this

WhiteStarLine

Wonderful, thanks MartH