Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Military Service Tribunals 1916-1918

Tommyash

Can anyone help me out with my research here? I've read David Littlewood's and James McDermott's books on the subject but I wondered if there were any other bits and pieces that I've missed.

This is a link to a title search on military service tribunals on COPAC (the union catalogue of university and research libraries in the UK).

If you are anywhere near London a visit to the Library of the Society of Friends (Quakers) is probably a good idea.

https://copac.jisc.ac.uk/search?&title=Military+service+tribunals

There are a lot of references to Military Tribunals in local newspapers during the war. Findmypast has newspapers from all over and should give you plenty results. Just searching for 'Military Tribunal' will give results.

Scottish Tribunal record {mostly for the Edinburgh area} are available on Scotlandspeople, for a fee.

Regards,

Alf McM

I don't know if you would be interested, Tommy, and Jane, but as you know, in 1921, the Government ordered the destruction of the tribunal  records, with the exception of two complete sets that were to be preserved: one in Middlesex and the other in Lothian & Peebles in Scotland.

The edict however, failed to reach sunny Cardiganshire, and the records survived and are now kept at The National Library of Wales.

Last year a project was undertaken by the alumni of the county to digitise and to transcribe the actual Tribunal  (Appeal documents) ( I think I might have taken part actually... ahem...). The digitised records are now available to view online, indexed by order of Rural or Urban District of the county. I'm not sure where the transcriptions are but they're almost all in English:

https://www.library.wales/discover/digital-gallery/archives/cardiganshire-great-war-tribunal-appeals-records/

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

Worth knowing Dai, diolch yn fawr!

The records available at Scotlandspeople  are not for the local tribunals but for the county appeals tribunals (for Midlothian, I think) - the next "level up".

There are a number of small caches of tribunal material in archives. Angus Archives at Forfar have a double cache - a batch of case papers from a solicitor handling tribunal cases and the case register for 1917 of the Forfarshire county appeals tribunal. Some cases appear in both.

If I remember rightly it is possible to download blank copies of the forms and contemporary information sheets from the National Archives site (free). I am sure the information is somewhere on the forum.

There is a lot of reporting in local newspapers which should give you a good idea of what was going on.

RM

Edited by rolt968