Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Service Battalion Rifle Brigade 1919

MaxD

In November 1919 the London Gazette has an entry for a RB lieutenant which reads "Lt xyz, Serv Bn Rif Brig to be Asst Adjt of a Demob Camp vice …He had served in 11 RB in France.

I have no difficulty translating that to Service Battalion Rifle Brigade to be Assistant Adjutant my only question is what was "Service battalion" RB.  Was this some sort of depot organisation set up after the war or is the entry missing something?

I should say we do not yet have his officer records wherein no doubt the answer lies!

Max

Hello Max

"Service battalions" were those raised after outbreak of war, either as "Kitchener" battalions or "Pals" battalions. It was simply descriptive of their role and distinguished these "New Army" units from Regulars or Territorials. There was not (as far as I am aware) a single "Service Battalion" of the Rifle Brigade: 7th to 13th and 16th RB all had (Service) as part of their title.

Ron

If you give us his name we can probably tell you for which Rifle Brigade Service battalion he was Adjutant.

11/KRRC and 12/KRRC were both disbanded in Apr-May 1919.  I suspect 11/RB went about the same time.

Andy will no doubt shortly confirm, but IIRC by Nov 1919, the only Service battalions that had not been disbanded were 51st, 52nd and 53rd.

These had been (Young Soldier) and (Graduated) bns, but were converted to Service battalions for service in the Rhine Army of Occupation.

All three formed the 3rd Light Brigade in the Light Division from Mar 1919 to Oct 1919.  53rd (S) Bn was disbanded in Oct 1919, while from Nov 1919 to Jan 1920, the other two were in 2nd Rhine Brigade of the Rhine Garrison.  It is unclear to me what happened after Feb 1920 as they stopped keeping war diaries, but my sources suggest speculatively that they were disbanded.  Andy may have more info via the RB regimental material.

Mark

Gentlemen both

Thank you but I really should make myself more clear about what I know.   The distinction between Service/Kitchener battalions etc during the war is totally familiar to me.  He was going to be A/Adjt of a demob camp not an RB battalion.

My query was the peculiarity of the description of an officer as being of "Service Battalion"  - not [number] Service Battalion or [number] Battalion.  As this was late 1919 it looked like something related to that particular time as the [numbered] service battalions had been disbanded by then.

Andy has indeed been kind enough to look for him (2/Lt (Temp Lt) AV Gray) in  his copious files.  He finds him in the Dec 1918 Army list under 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th Battalions RB noted as attached 1/6 Bn Essex Regiment.  He doesn't speculate about the designation.  He doesn't have his file, I am checking with the family as to whether they want it from Kew.. 

I am leaning toward an idle description in the LG

Max

Sorry Max - misread the part about adjutant - you did NOT say he was ever an RB adjutant - my bad!

Sitrep

The person  am assisting has now revealed they have his officer's file  - I have volunteered to translate it for them.  It may have the answer!

Thank you again.

Max

The file (Credit National Archives) does have what might be a part answer to the puzzle.

I translated "Serv Battn" in the LG as Service Battalion (singular).  A file note, without origin, related to his relinquishment of his commission is headed in type Service Battalions (plural) with Rifle Brigade added in manuscript.

For what it is worth (and I shall be the first to say it doesn't matter a jot except to give a possible explanation) is that in whatever office generated it, they had sheets headed "Service Battalions" on which the regiment was entered by hand and, for all I know, other sheets headed "Others" or whatever.  The note to the LG then became abbreviated to Serv Battn  which is where we came in.

Max(

WO_339_92354_024.jpg

• 2 months later...

Max,

Interestingly I have just come across another reference to this, having not seen it in any RB officers files that served in Service battalions. This gentleman never served in an RB battalion although was commissioned into the Rifle Brigade. Kantara comes up in the mix again and this time attached 1/7th Essex Regiment having been commissioned from the Royal Engineers, 2nd Army wireless, initially enlisting in the KRRC.

Andy

DSC04753.jpg

Andy.  

Coincidence.  Heard this very day from the descendant of the man who started the discussion.  The chap concerned served in the Rifle Brigade from Sep 1914, to France with 11 Bn Jul 1915 until wounded Sep 1916 then back to UK to 5 Bn.  Commissioned Sep 1917 to 6 Bn RB.  His officer service has been weeded and there is nothing until the appointment as A/Adjt at Kantara attached to 1/6 Essex.in Nov 1919.  The lady concerned has found mention of him in what is described as "the Regiment file" on Egypt and Palestine in 1918,. I've asked for details.

More idc.

Max

Andy

A loose end tied up.  After commissioning into 6 Battalion RB in Sept 1917, Lt AV Gray remained there until joining 1/6 Essex on attachment in Wilhelma Palestine on 19 March 1918.  He seems to have remained with 1/6 Essex until November 1919 when he was appointed Asst Adjt to the demob camp at Kantara , relinquishing that appointment and departing Egypt for UK in May 1920 (having presumably demobbed himself!).

Max

Max,

Good to tie up loose ends and thanks for keeping me updated regarding this gentleman.

Andy