Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

GOOD CONDUCT BADGES/SILVER WAR BADGE

simon2

Hi all,

I am researching my great grandfathers service history in the Royal Marines Light Infantry from 1913 through to 1918.I know he landed at Ostend in Aug 1914 was in the retreat at Mons.Also he served in Gallipoli and was then sent to France.

I Need information on what actions he might have taken part throughtout the war,hopefully in detail but also in this topic about the Silver War badge and good conduct badges.

It is noted in his service papers that he was awarded a good conduct badge but I cannot read the date it was issued.Was this awarded for good conduct during training or during serving in action?.Also has anyone got a photo of what it looks like or where I might find and example.

Secondly, was the Silver War badge stamped with the servicemans number or was it stamped in some numerical order.I have two examples and are trying to find out who they belonged to.

Many thanks in advance,

Simon.

Good Conduct "Badges" were in Fact Chevrons worn on the Sleeve{There have been numerous posts A quick forum search should find you a Pic or Two!}

The War Badge was Impressed with an Issue Number{Not the Recipients Number}this can be traced if issue to Army Recipients~There are Researchers who can Check the Badge & Locate the Recipient from the Number Alone[Army Badges are just Numbered or have a Prefix:"B"}

However the Badges to the RN -RM - RAF Are @ present not "Checkable"{these are Prefixed RN[for RN RMLI RMA RND] or RAF}

Many thanks for the information.I'll have a look through the forum.

Simon.

Steve,

Sorry it's taken so long to reply.The numbers on the SWB are :-

RN28463

Hope this is of interest.

Rgds,

Simon.