Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

8th Bn East Surreys

chris basey

Some years ago I was provided with photocopies from History of the East Surrey Regiment (Pearce & Sloman) Vol II as it related to the 8th Bn. A new interest requires some knowledge about Sept '15 to April '17 and all I know is that they went over at Montauban on 1st July (Neville et al). Clandon is not so well placed to help these days so I wondered if anyone has access to the History and can do some look-ups.

Here's hoping, and thanks in advance.

The 8th East Surreys were on the Somme August 1915 - Spring 1917; Mametz-Montauban August 1915-July 1916, Trones Wood area mid-July, south of Armentieres (?Fleurbaix) August 1916, Somme - Thiepval and Schwaben September-October, Regina Trench October-November 16, then Courcelette/Boom Ravine until the German withdrawl.

In 1917 it fought at Arras, taking part in the fighting near Fontaine and Cherisy in April-May 1917.

Hope that helps.

Chris

I have an interest in a relative that was KIA on the 23 March 1918, whilst serving with the 8th Bn The East Surrey Regt. Do you have any info over this period from the Bn history?

regards

Jamie