Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

U.S. knife, fork and spoon (1917 and 1918)

stephen p nunn

Hi all - my wife and I have just visited a Flea Market and I picked these up - a knife, fork and spoon. The knife has U.S. on one side and L.F.&C 1917 on the other. The fork has U.S. on one side and WBW 1918 on the other. The spoon also has U.S. and WBW (I think it is a B). I got the lot for £20. What fascinates me is how they ended up in this country.

Anyone have any comments about them please?

Thank you.

Stephen (Maldon)

uskfs.JPG

L F & C = Landers, Frary & Clark, the maker.

I am only aware of this from seeing the nasty knuckle-duster cum fighting knife that they also made for trench fighting.

Regards,

JMB

Hello, Stephen -

Exactly what do you want to know about these utensils?  They are basic issue to each WWI "doughboy," and they were efficient for their purpose.  They are quite common here in the U.S.

As for their being found in Britain, one possibility is that they may have been left behind by one of the many U.S. servicemen passing through Britain on the way to or from the Western Front.

Regards, Torrey

Thank you very much JMB and Torrey. I am just really pleased with these and the very tangible connection they provide with the Great War "doughboy" and his meals of yesteryear.

Best wishes.

Stephen (Maldon).

If you read through various US field manuals of the period they often contain recipes for different cleaning compounds for all sorts of different equipment. These recipes often contain directions such as "one spoonful Sal Soda", one quart water, one spoonful something else" . Your spoon is the one referenced because it was assumed that every soldier would have access to one of those spoons.

Wow reese - how great!

thanks.

Stephen.