Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

George Butterworth film 27 Feb - anyone in Diss, Norfolk?

seaJane

https://www.thecornhall.co.uk/shows/all-my-lifes-buried-here-the-story-of-george-butterworth/

All My Life’s Buried Here – The Story of George Butterworth

Venue: The Corn Hall, Diss, Norfolk

Date: Weds 27 Feb

Times: 1030, 1930. TIckets £6.50, or under-18s £4.00

Directed by Stewart Hajdukiewicz, UK, 97 mins, 2019

"For the first time in a documentary film, here is the compelling story of the English composer, George Butterworth who met a tragic end on The Somme in 1916. He left behind a handful of still popular works such as 'The Banks of Green Willow' and 'Rhapsody, A Shropshire Lad', and an impressive collection of traditional songs and dances gathered on trips into rural England.

The director will attend both screenings to participate in audience Q&A.

The film includes an interview with the late Professor Alun Howkins, historian, south Norfolk resident and former Trustee of Diss Corn Hall."

Thanks for the heads-up, Jane.  I won't get to Diss, but I shall certainly look out for the film on TV and/or video.  

Are you aware if it will it be available for a wider audience? sounds fascinating... and unfortunately I would to be there but cannot.

Andrew

There's more info here https://www.georgebutterworth.co.uk/

Good spot David.

I too am the wrong side of the country for Diss, and although my dad lives in Norfolk I don't think he's at home that weekend. Besides, it's a big county - he's an hour's drive away (cue laughter from Australians).

• 3 months later...

Just heard this is coming to the Curzon Cinema, Clevedon, Somerset on June 23rd at 1:30 pm.

• 2 weeks later...

I went to see this film in Gloucester a few weeks ago. From a Great War perspective there is footage of the ceremony which is held each year (at Butterworth's graveside) on the anniversary of his death, & a bit about his general war service leading to his death on the Somme. The central portion of the film concentrates on his gathering of English folk songs, his morris dancing & his musical compositions. Whilst I commend anyone taking on such a subject, & bringing the memory of such a creative soul back to the public eye, I did find it a bit repetitive & was possibly 20 minutes too long, but that said it is a worthy epitaph to the man in question.

Thanks Nick. Hmm, I already have the folk material from another source, and distance will make it a long day, so I'm beginning to wonder whether it's worth the drive.

• 10 months later...

Simon Heffer in his regular 'Hinterland'  Daily Telegraph Review  section column  today (18th April '20) The French celebrate this English hero. Why don't we? reviews - generally favourably - the DVD release of this documentary (probably behind the paywall :( so I won't bother attempting to find a link). Heffer comments: ' Hajdukiewicz's film  was crowdfunded, a brilliant enterprise and noble of those that supported it. It is scandalous that no major broadcasting network commissioned it and put its resources behind it; presumably because of its lack of diversity,  or because it requires some intelligence to appreciate its profundity, or because it did not offer an opportunity for Dr Lucy Worsley to dress up...'

The DVD is available from the website given by David_Underdown in  Post #4 above, https://www.georgebutterworth.co.uk/purchase-the-film

NigelS

Went to see this film at a showing in a nearby town, just before the lock down and I have to say its absolutely   brilliant !!

I'm after the book now !