Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Weekly Casualty List for Indian Forces?

Simon_Fielding

Simple question really - was there a version of the "Weekly Casualty List (War Office & Air Ministry )" published for Indian Forces? If so, is a Mesopotamian casualty more likely to be included in there than the London edition?

The only Casualty Returns for the Indian Army I am aware of are available at the British Library, explained in the British Library article "Finding Indian soldiers who served in World War One"

However, there are none from this source for Mesopotamia.

I don't know to what extent, if at all, Indian Army casualties appear in the War Office Lists.

I get the impression that records for Mesopotamia were not very good.

Cheers

Maureen

Edited by Maureene

2 hours ago, Maureene said:

I get the impression that records for Mesopotamia were not very good.

An impression shared !

I have found Mespot Casualties reported in the British Daily/Weekly Casualty Lists, including British ORS in British Army and British ORs in Indian Army, eg Indan Unattached List, S&T etc. Indian ORs never appear. However there are some large omissions for BORs. Sometimes there are even references to 'previously reported as..' where I cannot find that previous listing. 

I am just about to post a new thread on Mespot PoW exchanges where I need help because of this gap.

I hope someone else can find a solution but if you, Maureen, don't know then I am doubtful.

Charlie