Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Harold Merton Moritz / Morland, Lancashire Fusiliers

seaJane

There are two MICs for my husband's grandfather, presumably because he changed his name from Moritz to Morland at the point when the Moritz card breaks off. His parents, George and Rose Moritz, were Jews who had come to England from somewhere now in Poland but then in Russia.

I have worked out that his first theatre of war was Gallipoli and that he was given a SWB, so I assume invalided out. He died in 1932 aged 41. I know he was awarded the WW1 trio because we have that on the wall at home - at least I think it's three medals and not two, without going upstairs to look.

There is a set of Officers' Service Papers here; http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C1088533 - will that be worth obtaining? I see that I can request a quotation.

And is there anything important that I may have missed on the MICs? 

Thanks in advance,

sJ

Moritz.jpg

Morland.jpg

Hi SJ, 

Definitely worth obtaining, though worth asking a member of the Forum to copy for you.

My Grandad was 9th LF (entered theatre Suvla on 12 Sep 15), so would be very interested in Harold's dates with them. 

Also have plenty of info on the Bn should you be interested in anything specific. 

Rgds

Tim D

Edited by Blackblue
mistake

Interestingly his 1914/15 Star Medal Roll has him disembarking 7 Oct 15.

A few other things on Ancestry and Find My Past including British Jewry Roll of Honour and a Medical Admission Register for Queen Alexandra's Military Hospital at Millbank 14 Oct 16 for GSW Arm. Likely wounded at Mouquet Farm which the Bn took in Sep. 

Rgds

Tim D

Edited by Blackblue

Yep, wounded 26 Sep 16, Mouquet Farm. 

Mouquet Farm.png

That's brilliant, Tim, thanks!

sJ

• Admin

Jane

As stated above please don't get TNA to copy them for you. There are a number of independent researchers out there, the last 2 officer files I had done cost me less than a fiver each for in the region of 40 pages per file (compare that to a likely TNA quotation!) https://www.arcre.com/

Regards

David

Thanks David!

12 hours ago, Blackblue said:

A few other things on Ancestry and Find My Past including British Jewry Roll of Honour

Also available free of charge here https://www.jewsfww.uk/find-someone.php

sJ