Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What to see at Mons.

ForeignGong

Hi All

I am doing a small Battle Field tour with my wife's cousin and have worked out what we can see in the time available and we will be passing through Mons on the last day. Sunday 10 March.

So what is to see in Mons please.

Thanks in anticipation

Peter

Edited by ForeignGong

Hi Peter,

There's the Town hall and main square site of a photo of the Royal Fusiliers about the water fountain in the square waiting to be deployed to their positions along the canal, the fountain is no longer there but it's original position is marked in the paving. Nimy bridge site of the first two VC's of the war, the church at Maisieres has a commemorative plaque on the wall for BEF casualties on the 23rd August 1914, also the CWGC Cemetery at St. Symphorien where the first British and last Canadian casualties of the war are buried and also Lt. Dease VC Royal Fusiliers who succumbed to his wounds inflicted in the defence of the Nimy rail bridge is buried here.

Regards Keith

As well as the sights above you have the Celtic Cross to the soldiers of 2nd Royal Irish Regiment who were left behind to cover the retreat of the BEF.

The Crossroads on the main Brussels to Mons Road where it meets the road from Nimy Bridge. You will likely pass it going from Nimy Bridge to St Symphorien.

It is where Quartermaster Sergeant Thomas Fitzpatrick kept a crew of around 50 store-men, drivers and delivery men and this motley crew held up the German army for 11 hours.

Regarded as the 'Angels of Mons' none of these were frontline soldiers but nevertheless allowed the rest of the army to get to safer positions.

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/heritage/irishman-who-was-angel-of-mons-1.1950837

Edited by JasonMc

Binche - where E Battery RHA fired the first (British) artillery round.  Been covered in a previous thread on the GWF.  Now in front of a car showroom iirc.

Thank you all for your replies, I have added them to our itinerary.

Looking forward to seeing the start and finish point for the British forces.

Appreciate the help

Peter

18 hours ago, JasonMc said:

As well as the sights above you have the Celtic Cross to the soldiers of 2nd Royal Irish Regiment who were left behind to cover the retreat of the BEF.

The Crossroads on the main Brussels to Mons Road where it meets the road from Nimy Bridge. You will likely pass it going from Nimy Bridge to St Symphorien.

It is where Quartermaster Sergeant Thomas Fitzpatrick kept a crew of around 50 store-men, drivers and delivery men and this motley crew held up the German army for 11 hours.

Regarded as the 'Angels of Mons' none of these were frontline soldiers but nevertheless allowed the rest of the army to get to safer positions.

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/heritage/irishman-who-was-angel-of-mons-1.1950837

Thanks Jason for this reference. In it I found an important link to the final hours of 2/Lt John Shine of 2 Royal Irish, a relative of my wife:

'Eventually at 11pm, the men decided to retire for the night and to move towards the British lines. They took their dead and buried them in the trench where they had held out for most of the day. A Belgian civilian led them to safety. On the way, they encountered a young Irish officer, Second Lieutenant John Shine from Waterford, who had been taken in by a Belgian woman and was dying from his wounds in an upstairs room. He would be the first of three Shine brothers to die in the war.

Very much appreciated.

Rob

4 hours ago, Rob B said:

Thanks Jason for this reference. In it I found an important link to the final hours of 2/Lt John Shine of 2 Royal Irish, a relative of my wife:

'Eventually at 11pm, the men decided to retire for the night and to move towards the British lines. They took their dead and buried them in the trench where they had held out for most of the day. A Belgian civilian led them to safety. On the way, they encountered a young Irish officer, Second Lieutenant John Shine from Waterford, who had been taken in by a Belgian woman and was dying from his wounds in an upstairs room. He would be the first of three Shine brothers to die in the war.

Very much appreciated.

Rob

Ahh that's some coincidence - delighted to be able to share it and glad that you found the connection.