Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Map or sketch of the Ottoman Eight Army HQ at Huj

Eran Tearosh

We are planning to set up a couple of signposts to commemorate the Charge at Huj. I'm trying to get a better understanding of the Ottoman camps (including Aerodrome) of the Eight Army HQ at Huj (About 2 miles north of the charge site). Can anyone help?

Eran  

• 2 years later...

Wasn't around for a while....

Just renewing this request - any map or aerial photo will help

Eran

Hi Eran,

Kress moved the HQ to Huleikat at the end of September 1917, a few days before his two-corps sized force called "Sinai Front Command" was renamed "8th Army" on 2 October. I have an Ottoman Turkish map showing all HQs in the area in August 1917, but I am not sure how much it will be of help as it's not detailed.

971315314_Adsz.jpg.579f3b77ac1c2ee4f31c040018b5a72d.jpg

92880943_Adsz2.jpg.ae7bfe5cf37dc7900426a50eeaf16f4f.jpg

Edited by emrezmen

• 2 weeks later...

Emre,

Thanks! That's a great help! 

I'm taking people these Fridays (Under the limitations of Covid-19) on detailed tours of the battlefield of The Charge at Huj, which is actually about 2 miles south of Huj. 

These tours are a part of a annual February Festival, called 'Darom Adom' (Red South), dedicated to the really incredible red carpets of Anemones' blossom. The battlefield of The Charge at Huj is around a place called Nir Moshe. The North flank of this battlefield is in a small forest of the JNF (Where there's quite a lot Anemones these days) while the scene of the charge of the Austrian Guns is West of the village (Today there's a nice little observation spot there, towards the location where the guns were, and a few explanation signposts).   

A track is connecting the forest and the vicinity of Huj (Passable for cars, although one should be careful after rain), which is called today The Yeomanry Regiments Route

https://www.kkl-jnf.org/tourism-and-recreation/tours/nir-moshe-forest-yeomanry-regiments-route.aspx 

As to Huj itself. Yes, I'm aware of the movements of Kress's H.Q. at that time (Beersheba, Sharia, Huj & Huleikat), however, most British sources refer to Huj as the H.Q. in early November 1917 (In reality, it was at that time a major logistic center). What I'm trying to find is a British/Australian aerial photograph of the area from late October, early November 1917. Special interest of mine is about the railway track that connected Der Snied and Huj - so far I haven't seen a single photo of this railway and train. There are a few humble remnants of the ramparts of this railway here and there. 

I am planning (together with JNF) to put in that area two bigger explanation signposts (One in the forest and one near Huj itself), plus another one to replace the small existing signs overlooking the site of the charge of the Austrian Guns (This one with a local resident, a member of The Society for the Heritage of WWI in Israel).  

Emre - May I use this map? What is the source? (I guess copyrights expired many years ago, but still I would like to give proper credit)

Eran

Edited by Eran Tearosh

10 hours ago, Eran Tearosh said:

Emre - May I use this map? What is the source? (I guess copyrights expired many years ago, but still I would like to give proper credit)

Sure. Glad I could help.

It comes from digitised private collection of Fahrettin Pasha, famous defender of Medina. (İBB Atatürk Library, Fahreddin Türkkan Paşa Collection. Accession number: Hrt_011230 Call number: 355.47 BİN 1337 k.1 See: http://ataturkkitapligi.ibb.gov.tr/ataturkkitapligi/index.php?dil=tr&p=8&ID=165)

Type Hrt_011230 here for a full PDF version: https://katalog.ibb.gov.tr/yordambt/yordam.php?-ac=arama&-vt=YordamBTSYS&eseradi=&bolumsanal=SB036 (registration required).

Cheers

Edited by emrezmen