Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Brigadier-General (Hon) Sir Alexander Beamish Hamilton

Glengarry1950

Gentlemen,

I am looking for members assistance in trying to locate a photograph or image of the above mentioned Officer. I have access to the regimental museum photograph archives and to date have been unable to locate an image of him, all be it there are quite a number of photographs from that period of groups of officers but unfortunately, the trend appears to be the norm, no names are attached to these photographs.

I am more inclined to think that there is more chance of there being an image of him out with the Regiment during WW1 when he was a staff officer in the General Staff. Incidentally his medals were auctioned at Spink in 2009. His details are:

Brigadier-General Alexander Beamish Hamilton (1860-1918), served with the regiment the King's Own Scottish Borderers having been commissioned 2Lt in 1881, took part in the Chin-Lushai Expedition of 1889-1890, the Sudanese Campaign of 1896-1898; served as captain in 1898, major in 1899, was a member of the royal geographical society, 1900-1901. Rose to the rank of brigadier-general as a DA & QMG during the First World War. Died in retirement in 1918. His death was due to illness contracted on active service.

Kind regards

Hiram

Edited by Glengarry1950

Hi Susan,

Thanks for that I will have a look as I have a subscription with them, many thanks for you prompt reply

Best

Hiram

2nd Lieutenant - 22/01/1881

Lieutenant - 01/07/1881

Captain - 11/12/1889

Brevet Major - 16/11/1898

Major - 12/06/1901