Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 soldier height

deutscherinfanteriest

12 minutes ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

In that case, my grandfather was a giant of a man at 5'6" and a colossal 10st 2lbs.

But he was Welsh.

That was my dad in National Service in the 50's! I weighed in at a more 6ft ,13 stone bruiser(being the milkmans)

I doubt that average of 5ft 2" for the British Army overall. Given the minimum height was 5ft 3" on average and this did go up and down to slow or increase recruitment. 

Just looked in the Statistics 1914-1920 and noting recorded there but I'm aware there is a actuary table out there for the data for recruits. 

I can not see the Bantams bringing the average down to 5ft 2"! 

https://www.warhistoryonline.com/world-war-i/1914-soldiers-average-height-52.html

Are you using this as a guide? 

Now using this as a guide

https://ourworldindata.org/human-height

You can add or take away country's. in 1910 Uk and Germany are pretty much level pegging at around 5ft5"

Edited by Scalyback

How long is a piece of string? my grandfather was 6'1", his brother 5'10" both 2nd Life Guards. Breed them tall in my family, I am 6'4" my brother 6'10" so I am the runt.

Andy

Edited by stiletto_33853

Dear deutscherinfantrist,

I have read various comments in books written by British officers, remarking on the good bearing and height of Australian troops, and later reports saying much the same about fresh American troops. Obviously both enjoyed more healthy outdoors life and sufficient food, vis-a-vis their British counterparts. Having said that, perhaps the more important issue was staying power, rather than looking good!

Kindest regards,

Kim.

• Admin

The minimum height for enlistment in the British Army was 5 ft 3 inches (160cm)

During the war the height regulation was varied, and at one stage the British recruited ‘Bantam’ Battalions who became very popular in the public imagination but were not that successful militarily especially after the first flush of recruitment.  Under height often meant poor physical development.

I doubt they would bring the average down overall.

This article may be of interest https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-31023270

Ken

1 hour ago, stiletto_33853 said:

How long is a piece of string? my grandfather was 6'1", his brother 5'10" both 2nd Life Guards. Breed them tall in my family, I am 6'4" my brother 6'10" so I am the runt.

I'm researching a few 2nd Life Guards.. tall *******, the shortest being 5' 11 7/8' 

apologies, I appear to have offended..............

1 minute ago, jay dubaya said:

I'm researching a few 2nd Life Guards.. tall *******, the shortest being 5' 11 7/8' 

The Guards and Police height requirement was only reduced in recent times. 

There was movement between them, see the many threads linking the Guards and Police(and Military Police also) on the forum. 

Really racking my brains here but there was a thread on this forum about height and soldiers! 

Not at all Jay, the Life Guards wanted my Grandfathers brother as he was something of a dab hand with an epee, my grandfather was brothered into the Life Guards through him. They served together throughout the whole war & GMGR. My grandfather left the Life Guards, going to the Jockney Guards a little time after his brother had died as he thought they did not look after him very well during his illness. See signature.

Andy

Edited by stiletto_33853

I have been tracking this information and recording whenever found. On a sample of about 2500 men (all ages, relatively few in the Guards, all below officer rank) my average is 5 feet 5.25 inches.

Hello, so we can say that average height of WW1 soldiers was  5 ft 5 in / 1,65 cm ?

I think Russians and Italians were less high?

Wilhelm II was about 1,70/ 5 ft 8 in if you see photos

Well, I suppose he counts as a British soldier - after all, he did hold the honorary rank of Field Marshal In September 1914!

15 hours ago, Kimberley John Lindsay said:

Dear deutscherinfantrist,

I have read various comments in books written by British officers, remarking on the good bearing and height of Australian troops, and later reports saying much the same about fresh American troops. Obviously both enjoyed more healthy outdoors life and sufficient food, vis-a-vis their British counterparts. Having said that, perhaps the more important issue was staying power, rather than looking good!

Kindest regards,

Kim.

I can back this up to some extent as both my Great Grandfathers served in WW1, one was a industrial worker from Stockport (pre-war TF soldier) and was only 5ft 3 I think according to his records, but the other one from a tiny hamlet outside Arundel in Sussex was 5ft 10 in contrast.  Must have been due to better diet/better overall living conditions.

Stew

Looking through the handful of Black Watch men local to me that have surviving service papers, which is few, most seem to be 5 ft 5.

Derek.

Edited by Derek Black

I have read that the average US soldier of WW I was s5'7"

As for Aussies the average ANZAC of WW II I think was 5'8" but everyone talked of big and brawny ANZAC

My great grandfather was just over 6 ft..must have been a nightmare in the trenches to keep his head down.

I seem to recall 5 ft 4 in. Was the average height. 

My uncle is 6ft 7" and after visiting the Western Front a few years ago did wonder how he'd have got on in the trenches. I suggested he could have signed up for the Navy instead, but suspect he'd have been permanently at risk of banging his head on doorways.

18 hours ago, seaJane said:

My uncle is 6ft 7" and after visiting the Western Front a few years ago did wonder how he'd have got on in the trenches. I suggested he could have signed up for the Navy instead, but suspect he'd have been permanently at risk of banging his head on doorways.

A mere 6ft and found the various trench systems left on the front somewhat cramped. Width wise as well as very broad shoulders. 

There is a photo of a Guards officer on the forum and I think his height is given as 6ft7" also. 

Who was the tallest soldier and sailor to serve?

Albert Blake was over 7 foot tall, but don't know if he's the tallest British soldier to have served.

A good pic of his comes up if you google his name.

3 hours ago, Derek Black said:

Albert Blake was over 7 foot tall, but don't know if he's the tallest British soldier to have served.

A good pic of his comes up if you google his name.

Blimey. I wonder if had extra rations. 

• 2 weeks later...

From the "List of Recommended Great War Websites - 1 January 2019" there is a very established website entitled:

Canadian Great War Project

This massive database and reference website enable one to research Canadians who participated in the Great War – perhaps the first place to begin any serious research. The website is very extensive and the features are beyond a short abstract - the reader should allocate several hours to fully appreciate it. At present there are over 182,700 database records of individual soldiers in the database with more being added on a regular basis by volunteers.  In addition, a significant data base of some Nominal Rolls has also been developed. Not all entries have full details but these are being built up soldier by soldier. In addition, there is a “GrandsonMicheal” section which greatly facilitates the access and reading of many of the digitized CEF war diaries and now a section of BEF war diaries. Marc Leroux is always looking for a few dedicated volunteers to assist in expanding the records base.  One of the premier websites on the List – an alternative to the Library and Archives Canada website.   [CEF Study Group – Updated December 2018] 

http://www.canadiangreatwarproject.com

From the Statistics section of this website, and based on a sample size of some 87,000 Canadian Corps soldiers the following descriptive statistics were developed.  Based on a very large sample size and a rather tight Standard Deviation, one should be rather confident of the average size of a Canadian soldier.  Perhaps they may have been slightly larger, however; one should have a statistician do a comparison of the samples.

Minimum Height              =             4’ 0” inches

Maximum Height             =             7’ 10” inches     

Average Height                 =         5’ 7” inches

Standard Deviation          =              2.6 inches

http://www.canadiangreatwarproject.com/Stats/gwpStats.asp

Regards

Borden Battery

Trenches must have been cramped for a men over 7 foot.

Is it known what percent of the Canadians were British born?

I'm wondering if there was any average height difference between those native born and raised versus their immigrant compatriots?

Derek.

Dear Members

Interesting statistics. The figures given for Australians and New Zealanders are about 30%. What would the reason be for a greater proportion of British- born men in the Canadian Army? I think with the Anzacs many of the soldiers were over 6 Feet in height, reflecting their healthier upbringing  against the British men from the heavy industry districts

Regards

John White