Bayonet Trivia

Steve1871

Guess the Bayonet!

image.jpg

image.jpg

I have it !

well 1895 or 1888....

Well Gernika, which would it be?

Gernika was right, this post was only up 10 minutes,he is good ! I was hoping the German acceptance and issue markings would throw some of you off. A standard M95 Austrain/ Hungarian

image.jpg

image.jpg

Very rare bayonet. 

Very well Steve!!!! 

Rivets and the vebel at the end of the grip turn me light  on.

My two bayonets spoke bulgarian long time ago.

Edited by Gernika

Hey Gernika , I do not even know what a Bulgarian proof/acceptance mark looks like.sounds like part of a good collection

Just now, Steve1871 said:

Hey Gernika , I do not even know what a Bulgarian proof/acceptance mark looks like.sounds like part of a good collection

1 minute ago, Steve1871 said:

I purchased both at once from  a seller in Bulgaria,  where he found the bayonets its only known by God.

22 hours ago, Steve1871 said:

Guess the Bayonet!

image.jpg

image.jpg

Steve,

I overlooked this post... Is this an Ernst Busch/Solingen one re-purposed for Bulgaria? I have one W/17, same inspector marks on blade spine, in original condition but somewhat pitted on the pommel - cost me an arm and a leg... 

Hey Julian, my friend Paul simply sent me the 2 pic's, saying he thought German issue in Grwat War. With all that stamping on spine, why do you think Bulgaria? You know a lot more on bayonets than I do

1 hour ago, Steve1871 said:

Hey Julian, my friend Paul simply sent me the 2 pic's, saying he thought German issue in Grwat War. With all that stamping on spine, why do you think Bulgaria? You know a lot more on bayonets than I do

As Gernika said earlier, those large rivets and the electo-penciled serial number are a give away for Bulgarian-used/modified bayonets. Original unaltered ones have the same small rivets as the M.1895. So it is basically a M.1895, but German-made by Busch!

It is not so well known is that Ernst Busch / Solingen made these in, I think in 1917 only, to fit A-H rifles in German use. Have a look at http://www.old-smithy.info/bayonets/HTNL%20DOCUMNETS/Austrian%201895.htm

As Old Smithy says, "Unaltered German ones are scarce." so I am mighty happy with my example! See: https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/231287-a-german-made-m95-bayonet/?tab=comments#comment-2302585

Best,

Julian

We're these German issue during the war, and re- issue to Bulgaria post war? Is that how it went?

Yes, German made in WW1 and originally German WW1 issue - but I don't have the full story to hand.

Bulgaria acquired an awful lot of Mannlicher-type bayonets post WW1, and often replaced the crossguards, and so the big rivets, the electro=penciling being from post WW2 when they got loads more before adopting the AK 45. This systematic Bulgarian alteration of captured and acquired 'foreign' Mannlicher-type bayonets is why unaltered vesions of the Busch German Mannilcher  version are so hard to find, and also unaltered versions of the Greek Mannlicher Y 1903... Well, for the latter, not here, I have several of the unaltered Greek Y.1903's, including an extremely rare Naval version, left behind after the Turkish War of Independence!

3 hours ago, trajan said:

As Gernika said earlier, those large rivets and the electo-penciled serial number are a give away for Bulgarian-used/modified bayonets. Original unaltered ones have the same small rivets as the M.1895. So it is basically a M.1895, but German-made by Busch!

It is not so well known is that Ernst Busch / Solingen made these in, I think in 1917 only, to fit A-H rifles in German use. Have a look at http://www.old-smithy.info/bayonets/HTNL%20DOCUMNETS/Austrian%201895.htm

As Old Smithy says, "Unaltered German ones are scarce." so I am mighty happy with my example! See: https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/231287-a-german-made-m95-bayonet/?tab=comments#comment-2302585

Best,

Julian

Link does not work.

13 hours ago, Gernika said:

Link does not work.

Just try googling "old smithy bayonet Austrian 1895" - that should work. 

Here is my pair.

E43D56FA-104A-41F2-9863-8530495380E2.jpeg

44AD183B-7A34-45D0-8D34-845897B380A7.jpeg

367127C3-7CD3-45D4-8A62-259B6D661116.jpeg

D0644F68-964B-4B51-9113-40B7BEAF7DFC.jpeg

06EAFEC1-1380-4BDE-9B5A-949FCC0A60E5.jpeg

Very nice bayonets you got there Gernika.A pair to be proud of! Are those Bulgarian frog's? Most 98 and 95 frog's seem to be same size and get confusing

29 minutes ago, Steve1871 said:

Very nice bayonets you got there Gernika.A pair to be proud of! Are those Bulgarian frog's? Most 98 and 95 frog's seem to be same size and get confusing

I believe they are.

Frogs and bayonets came as you can see from Bulgaria. 

There is one 95 selling now in an ubicuos auction web.

• 9 months later...

Is well known that majority of these bayonets ended in Bulgaria and were later refurbished for standart M95/34 by them.