Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Weekend break to France & Flanders

Guest jwillia5

Hello there,

I am planning a summer coach trip to the battlefields for 3, possibly 4 adults, and wanted a 3 to 5 day break that would take in battlefield tours in the Ypres Salient and the Somme...preferably staying in Ypres itself at night.

The pick up point would need to be Cardiff, and dates anytime from the last week of June to the second week of September would be fine, (though excluding the August bank holiday). Can members kindly recommend any companies that could meet those criteria - at a reasonable cost please as three of the party are students?

Thanks a million

Jane

Personally I have found Leger very good value. They have connecting coaches from all over the country which take you to the tunnel. I would have thought somewhere like Cardiff would be covered. They mainly stay in Tournai though, but I think one of the tours stays in Ypres.

They do 4 or 5 day tours, with a 5 day tour you have 3 days on the battlefields. You should check out their website.

If you're lucky you may get Paul Reed as your tour guide.

I'll second the recommendation for Leger. Tournai might not be as famous as Ypres, but it's quite a nice place to stay; attractive architecture, nice bars.

We had a colleague of Paul's (and fourm member) Clive Harris as a guide - a top chap.

Cheers,

Ste

Jane

I also recommend Leger,I did the tour staying at Tournai,really enjoyed it. Clive was our guide also and I second Paul's comments.

Regards Doug

I'd definitely recommend leger as well. Went on their Ypres and Somme tour over 5 days in August. It was great, highly recommend it, especially if you've got a great guide.

Many thanks one and all for your responses to my battlefield tour query...Leger it is then! I will be making a booking this week.

Thanks again...your help is very much appreciated.

Best regards

Jane

• 2 weeks later...

My wife, love of my life, gave me a short trip to Ypres/Ieper and asked Tom Morgan to do it ... it was EXTREMELY worth-while ... cost effective and will be one of my warmest memories of my life, no matter what happens from here on in.

I'm saying all this without checking if he's still doing it ... but if he is ... a custom guide is wonderful.

EV01_D11_054_Vimy_Ridge_-_Candaian_Memor