Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

144 Siege Battery

bjgironde

Hi All,

I mistakenly posted this to the wrong thread in the forum and so have been advised to re-post it as a new thread, my apologies for the duplication.

I admit to being ignorant of the structure of the Batteries of the RGA, but I have been trying to find out a few facts about my grandfather, Alfred Ambrose Johnson (69780)

I know from the part of his soldier's record  that I have managed to decipher,  that he signed up in Feb 1916 and was posted to the RGA 144th Seige Battery.as a gunner.

I think it says he was posted to France in August 1916, but of course it doesn't say where.

He was promoted to  "Pd/L/Bdr" ( I think that means Lance Bombardier?) in April 1918

In May 1918, he was injured with "G.S.W. head and foot" and the next entry says he was in Leicester Hospital by 23rd June 1918. He did survive, but died earlier than he should have, as a result of continuing problems from his wounds.

I have downloaded what I think are the relevant war diaries from the N.A,. but for the 144th, they are only for a brief period (Aug 16- Feb 17)

What I am trying to discover is where he was with his unit when he was injured in May 1918?

I wondered if anyone might be able to point me in the right direction where there might be more information available, that I have not yet found, about where the 144th Siege Battery was stationed during that period?

As I live in France, I can only research on-line and although I have already visited some of the main battlefields of northern France, I would really like to find where he was.

Thank you for any help and advice you knowledgeable people can offer.

Brian

• Admin

Hi Brian

Belated welcome from me.

This thread tells you which Brigade War Diary you need to consult I believe.

Good luck with your research

David

From where the official 144 Sge WD ends in Feb17 you require the higher formation war diaries 144 came under for the rest of the war as a component battery within. The main one from 23.06.17 was 56 HAG (Heavy Artillery Group). This was a specific fixed grouping of batteries under control of a Lieut Colonel.

The diary has been split into several parts; the part concerning the location of where he was wounded is under NA ref: WO95/392/3 (covering from Apr18) which is the same reference as that for the 144 Sge WD; so if you have downloaded that already you may even have it without realising it. This will give you good battery movements and locations along with those for the other batteries that made up the group, but don’t expect any names. 144 Sge Bty was at the time a mechanised battery armed with 6in Howitzers (26 cwt) towed by FWD lorries.  In fact at the end of May 1918, 144 took over the exact position of my main battery of interest 81 Sge. You should also try and download the first part of the 56 HAG WD (you are only concerned from June17) as it contains interesting appendix as to what happened to 144 during the German 21.03.18 ‘operation Michael’ offensive.

Rgds Paul

Welcome to the forum by the way!

Hi Paul,

I have now found the entries in the war diary WO95/392/3 you specified thank you very much.

I assume that the various references - eg Sheet 57D D2766.4  - are some sort of grid reference, do you know if the maps they used still exist anywhere?

Thanks