Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bomb Release - Bristol Fighter

pjwmacro

Can anyone tell me how the bombs were released on a Bristol Fighter F2B? Was it the pilot or the observer? Or could both? And was it some form of pull lever - presumably not a switch?

Many thanks

Paul

8 hours ago, pjwmacro said:

Can anyone tell me how the bombs were released on a Bristol Fighter F2B? Was it the pilot or the observer? Or could both? And was it some form of pull lever - presumably not a switch?

Many thanks

Paul

Hi

I presume you are asking about the '20 lb. Carrier' equipment, this was operated by pulling on a 'release toggle' that was attached to a 'Bowden wire'  to the 'release mechanism' on the carrier.  As the Bristol would have been mainly dropping bombs during low level ground attack then it would be more likely the pilot would have operated it, the observer/gunner being busy also shooting at ground targets and the pilot having a better view of what he was going to bomb.  This would be the same in single seat fighters undertaking the same type of ground attack missions.

Mike

4 hours ago, MikeMeech said:

I presume you are asking about the '20 lb. Carrier' equipment

Thanks Mike. Yes I was referring to the 20lb Carrier equipment and that answers the question perfectly. 

Regards, Paul