Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A 1904 dated S.89/05?

trajan

Hmmm... This one looks interesting and odd... Published by the Russian boys who wrote what is in effect the new Carter volume 1 (V.V.Vorontsov and D.V.Vorontsov, ШТЫКИ ГЕРМАНИИ. Pfm 71/98, S98/02, S98/05  (Moscow 2015).... Bear in mind that the earliest reference to the making of the 98/05 is on 1st April 1905 - the production of "ein kürzeres Seitengewehr", a 'shortened sideram', for Pionieren, etc., this new design ("einem neuen Muster") being intended to replace the S.98/02 (Kriegs-Ministerium, Allgemeines Kriegs-Department, Nr. 1060/3.05.A2). A W/04 doesn't make any sense except as a trials... Does anyone have enough Russian to read the caption? I have native Russian speakers to hand, as it were (neighbours!), but a bit too late to check with them right now...

rus 1904.jpg

Julian,

there was indeed an experimentaly model of S 98/05, but i have never seen this before.

i have to check my archives about. 

Hi Julian,

Interesting bayonet;  I look forward to reading the translation of the text in the book.  There is something of a precedent in that at page 400 of The Collectors Book of German Bayonets by Roy Williams he illustrates a "S98/00 Trials Bayonet" marked Crown W00.  It is, save for some relatively minor differences, identical to the S98/02.  

Michael.    

Hi Michael,

Yes, there were several versions of the S.98 trials as I know you will be aware of.

I will try to check later today the German text for the introduction of the S.98/05 - I have a copy of the Prussian communique on this as preserved in the Bavarian achives but evidently not every decision on weapons matters was communicated immediately to Bavaria: e.g., the decision to drop the S.98 in favour of the S.98/05, although the failure to communicate that might be explained by the urgency of the matter - the beginnings of trench warfare!

Well, apart from the obvious bits at the start, so "S.98/05 'aAS'", and "Prussia", a little try at Google gave me for the first lines (in red) - "old-style bayonet in leather and with a saw on the butt"!

I'll hand over to a neighbour...

Julian

9 hours ago, trajan said:

... I will try to check later today the German text for the introduction of the S.98/05 - I have a copy of the Prussian communique on this as preserved in the Bavarian achives but evidently not every decision on weapons matters was communicated immediately to Bavaria: e.g., the decision to drop the S.98 in favour of the S.98/05, although the failure to communicate that might be explained by the urgency of the matter - the beginnings of trench warfare!

OK, I checked the German archives on this - or those bits I have copies of, which is not to say that more might be available in Munich (perhaps I should do a crowd-funding here for a visit - I had planned for next week but 1500 EU plus for a 3-star hotel Jack Sheldon recommended put me off!).

A Prussian KMinisterium communique dated 01 April 1905, Nr.1060/3.05A.2., to the Bavarian KM, reads as follows: 

"Dem königlichen Kriegsministerium beehrt sich das Department ganz ergebenst mitzuteilen, daß die General Inspektion des Ingenieuer-und Pionierkorps und der Festungen ein kürzeres Seitengewehr wünscht, als die Seitengwehr 98/02 und mit einem nueuen Muster Versuche anstellt.

Es ist deshalb die Anfertigung von Seitengwehren 98/02 vorläufig ausgesetz worden."

"The Imperial War Ministry informs you respectfully that the General Inpection of Engineers and Pionier Korps have expressed the wish to the department for a shorter Sidearm than the 98/02, and tests with a new pattern have begun / are in progress[?]. 

Therefore, the manufacture of Seitengwehren 98/02 is provisionally suspended."

Well, as I noted in post no.4, I do not know how complete the Bavarian archives are on this matter of the introduction of the 98/05 - remember the Prussian ones were mainly destroyed in WW2 so no help there. There could be other relevant stuff lurking in Munich, or in other archives - e.g., Saxony and Wurttemburg, with their own War Ministries. But from this communique above, from Berlin to Bavaria, it is clear that trials of what became the 98/05 were in progress by early 1905, so the possibilty exists that this W/04 98/05 is indeed a trials version. Be that as it may, the bayonet was not introduced formally into military service until 20th November 1905 - Preuss.Armee-Verord.Blatt 27, p. 349.

Edited by trajan
Correct syntax, etc.

Haven't done the Russian for this 1904 example yet, but I have found an reference earlier than 01 April (quited above) implying the S.98/05 was in development in 1904. I don't have the full text but Bayer. KB, MKr. 4011, is a copy of a Decree of the Prussian War Ministry of 27 February 1905, stating how the M 98/02 bayonets will be withdrawn for use by Landwehr engineer and foot artillery formations... So, work presumably in progress already on what becomes the S.98/05... 

Edited by trajan
spelling