Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

No: 1 Casualty Clearing Station.

Michael Peck

Hi List,

In retirement I do some work on war memorials and have just come across a small surprise. Sapper Thomas William Armstrong (WR/268585 296th Railway Company, Royal Engineers. Born 1888 Brandon, Lincs) died 19th February 1919 at No: 1 CCS (as Soldiers Effects) and I must admit I did not know CCS were still operating, I thought by this date that any soldiers requiring medical help would be directly admitted to a stationary hospital. Has anyone any idea of when  No: 1 CCS was closed, indeed when were CCS considered defunct and the staff returned to normal duties/life?

Thanks for any help.

Mike.

Hello Mike

the last location I can find for No1 CCS was Mons 16/11/1918 to 7/7/1919.

John

• Admin

Hi Mike

According to this list 1 CCS was in Mons from 16.11.18 to 7.7.19. http://www.vlib.us/medical/CCS/ccs.htm

Some CCS appear to have been operating as late as Nov 1919.

(The list has come in for some discussion as to its complete accuracy)

Regards

David

John clearly types faster than me!

Edited by DavidOwen

Thanks to John and David. I find it difficult to envisage what CCS were doing by November 1919, indeed by July 1919. Would have thought they would have got rid of all their casualties and no new ones would be coming in. But speaking as an ex airman I know the ways of the army are strange indeed - now that should get me abused by at least half the list!

Mike.