Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lancashire Fusiliers

Tommy Man

Can anybody give me some advice on walking the battlefields that the 1st battalion Lancashire Fusiliers once Fought?? I'm of to Martinpuich in Feb and I'm planning to visit Beaumont Hamel,is there any where else I can go?? :)

Hi again - the 1/LFs returned to the Somme with the 29th Division in October 1916, after a couple of months at Ypres. They moved up via Mametz Wood to the Switch Line near Flers by 19th October, and then went to Delville Wood on the 25th, and Bernafay Wood on the 27th. On 31st October they went to Corbie, where they stayed until the end of the battle, when they went up to Meaulte and then North Camp at Carnoy. During the winter of 1916/17 they were in the line at Rancourt and Sailly-Saillesel.

If you are anywhere near Arras on this trip try and pay your respects to the man below. 'The Maniac', as he was known, was a popular and much respected commanding officer, who won the DSO on the 1st July 1916:

Name: MAGNIAC, MEREDITH

Initials: M

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Lancashire Fusiliers

Unit Text: 1st Bn.

Date of Death: 25/04/1917

Awards: DSO

Additional information: Son of the late Maj. Gen. F. L. Magniac and of Mrs. Magniac, of Coombe Cot, Abbotsham, Devon, husband of Winifred E. Magniac, of The Austen, Rye, Sussex.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: B. 4.

Cemetery: BEAURAINS ROAD CEMETERY, BEAURAINS

Hi Paul, or anyone

Any chance of any more info on that chap.

I will be in Arras later this year and I will seek his grave out, so any information you have will be great.

Thank you.

Ian.