Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

CAPT. TOM DOVE MC 12TH KRRC - REVISITED

medalmaniac

I should like if I may revisit an excellent and well debated topic posted by Laughton November 1917, concerning a grave to an un-named KRRC Captain and am fully aware that the subject of my proposed post was pretty well covered in the debate. However, having tangible evidence of the life and death of Captain Tom Dove 12/KRRC in the form of his Military Cross medal group, together with an image of him, I felt compelled to give some form of well founded identity to a gallant young soldier lying unidentyfied as he has been, for best part of a hundred years.

‘A Captain of the Great War, Kings Royal Rifle Corps’

Further study of battalion and divisional material gives an approximate location for Tom Dove's death as 20.U.23.b.7.0.

It is quite possible that his body (an officer) was noticed and as was not uncommon, buried as a mark of respect by counterpart German officers..  

Later, the body of an un-known KRRC Captain was exhumed north of Passchendaele from 20.V.28.b.2.4, near Tournant Farm and reburied at the Passchendaele New British Cemetery (Plot 9 Row C Grave 1) named only as A Captain of the Great War, Kings Royal Rifle Corps’     

Following extensive research (primarily promoted by members of the Great War Forum) it has been reasonably determined that the grave could well be that of either Captain Dove or Captain Clifford, 11th KRRC (Killed in action 20th Sept. 1917). However,  (call me biased if you will) I am of the opinion the grave is that of the former.

In May 2018 I visited the grave and placed upon it (laminated) the above photograph and the text as above and until conclusively contradicted, I shall give the grave an identity.

CAPTAIN THOMAS (TOM) DOVE MC

12th (Service) Battalion, King’s Royal Rifle Corps

Military Cross  G.V.R. (with original brooch clasp)

British War Medal 1914-20 Capt.

Victory Medal 1914-18

Bronze Memorial Plaque

Various Ephemera

PHOTO ON FILE BUT DON'T KNOW HOW TO SUBMIT SAME

Wounded in action 23rd December 1916 – Le Mesge, Somme

Killed in action 16th August 1917 – Langemark - age 29

Thomas Dove was born on the 25th November 1887, the son of Mr Thomas Montague Dove and Mrs E.H.Dove of 18 Lansdowne Road, Tonbridge, Kent. He was educated at Letchford’s Commercial School, from where he took up an occupation as an accountant.

At the age of twenty, he enlisted in the West Kent Imperial Yeomanry fom 14th October 1907. – 14th August 1910, serving in the capacity as Trooper and Squadron Scout.

In 1910 he emigrated, taking up employment as a Tea Planter with the Colombo Commercial Company in Ceylon. Whilst there, he enlisted with the Ceylon Planters Rifle Corps, serving with them from 12th  February 1914 as  Rifleman and Company Signaller. On the 1st November 1915  he  obtained leave to proceed to England to join HM Forces

Immediately after reaching England on 29th November 1915 he made application for a Commission in the 15th KRRC, his nomination being approved and recommended on 7th December 1915 by Lieut- Colonel St Aubyn, O/C 15th Battalion KRRC. In the event, he was commissioned 2nd Lieutenant, 12th Service Battalion KRRC and after training, joined his battalion at the front.

Le Mesge, Somme

In late December 1916 the 12th Battalion were conducting operations near Le Mesge on the  Somme and Acting Captain Tom Dove was called upon to lead a Trench Raid on an enemy position.

…’We were again in the Line on the 20th December and on the following day a trench raid under Acting Captain Dove , on the enemy’ saps was not successful as the garrison was found tto be too strong.One man was killed and Captain Dove and one man wounded’...   

However, for his gallantry and determination, Acting Captain Dove was awarded the Military Cross.

Military Cross - London Gazette 13th February 1917 for operations 23rd December 1916.

…..Temp. 2nd Lieutenant (Acting Captain) Tom Dove,.K.R.R.C.For conspicuous gallantry in action. He displayed great courage and determination when in charge of a small party under very heavy fire. Later, he made a gallant attemptto rescue a wounded man.

Au Bon Gite,- Langemark-Gheluvelt Line

Early in the morning of the 16th of August, 1917, the 60th and 61st Brigades of the 20th Division crossed the Steenbeek river by temporary bridges covered with canvas to muffle their footsteps. The artillery barrage commenced at 4.45 a.m., and the infantry attacked whilst the barrage "crept" forwards. They took a German strongpoint known as Au Bon Gite where Sergeant Edward Cooper 12th KRRC won the Victoria Cross, for for advancing with scant concern for their own safety on concrete strongpoints that were resisting the infantry advance

Captain Dove MC commanded 'B' Coy. which formed the left flank of  the 12th  KRRC's attack on the EAGLE TRENCH position and after overcoming strong resistance, were  successful in capturing the trench in the morning's attack

At mid-day messages were received from Captain Dove MC, that he could see the enemy was massing for a counter-attack. Fire was brought to bear on them with good effect and the Brigadier was informed of the situation. We received our orders that our positions were to be held at all costs. At 4.10pm the enemy launched their counter-attack The S.O.S.. was sent in and our guns responded immediately. They were however unable to stop the enemy, who advanced in large numbers.The weight of the attack seemed to be especially directed against the King’s Liverpools on our left and after a gallant resistance they were pushed back.

The German attackers re-entered the captured Eagle Trench to the left of Captain Dove’s hard pressed Company and by bombing along the trench forced the KRR's out of the trench and back SW-wards by approx 200yds.  Tom Dove was killed defending the trench and his body was left behind there when the allbut  annihilated remnants of  ‘B’Company withdrew as best they could.

Only one Sergeant and four men succeeding in rejoining the adjoining KRRC Company. Captain Dove had been killed and 2nd Lieutenant Munsey severely wounded.

No less than nine 12th KRRC officers, including Tom Dove, fell on that day.

The Commonwealth War Graves Commission records Captain Tom Dove MC has having no known grave and is commemorated on the Tyne Cot Memorial, Belgium

• 3 years later...

Medalmanlac

I paid my respects to Captain Dove at Passchendeale New British and Tyne Cot this morning.

YS