Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Uniform ID help KORL / Cavalry

alastaircox

I am sorting out my postcards and letting a fair few go. I have a couple of uniform queries if you could help please?  First one, is this chap Kings Own Royal Lancaster Regiment?

a001.jpg

And this one I simply have no idea. I thought Household Cavalry, the cap badge appears to be a stirrup within a wreath, collar badges too?  Thanks for your input.

a002.jpg

• alastaircox changed the title to Uniform ID help KORL / Cavalry

The first man is Kings Own (Royal Lancaster) Regiment and the second is either VB or TF, of I think the Hampshire Regiment but I will need to check.  The cap badge was unusually in the shape of a stirrup.  The facings of the tunic were yellow, as per the parent regiment.

Afternote:  I can confirm it is the 7th (TF) Battalion of the Hampshire Regiment.  See enclosed images.

F1F2B745-CC2C-4E0A-A9FF-95C44940575B.jpeg

BFDC9CF1-389F-4119-AF10-C280EAD34686.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

The device is a Dog Gauge. I can't recall which king it was (either Norman or Plantagenet), but as the New Forest was established by the Normans as a hunting ground they were very keen that local people didn't interfere - therefore a gauge was developed to test local dogs.

I can't recall the details, but I believe that if a dog couldn't get through it, it was deemed likely to be used for illegal hunting and was therefore culled.

The 7th Hants, recruiting from the Forest area, naturally took it as their badge. I beleive the relevant Volunteer Battalion had previously used it.

Thank you for the reminder Steven, I’d forgotten that important detail despite having read about it before.  The battalion took its origins in the New Forest very seriously as you say.

Came from the old 4th Volunteer Battalion, and recruited across the Forest from Christchurch in the west to Totton (just the other side of the Test from Southampton) in the east. According to Westlake, one company of the 4th VB was known as 'The New Forest Scouts'.

The issue of the dog gauge and 7 Hants was covered in detail in this topic from 2005 -