Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

25th Heavy Battery RGA

DorsetDan

Hi All

I'am researching a local man who served and died with the 25th Heavy Battery RGA.

Could anybody help with information on the Battery from their formation with 25th Div in September 1914 until and including their time on the Somme in 1916.

I know the Battery went to Eygpt in January 1916 , then on to the Western Front sometime later and were on the Somme as my man was killed by shell fire in the village of Englebelmer 11/9/16.

I have looked through the index , trying to find a war dairy , but haven't been unable to find one up to now.

Hope one of you Gunners out there may be able to help. 

Unfortunately there is no surviving WD for that Hvy Bty. CWGC records there was only one man killed at the Somme from that Bty. For starters you can find out where they were positioned and what happened to Hallett in the higher formation war diary 25 HB were a component battery within at the time, from 29.07.16. this was 4 HAG (Hvy Arty Group WD ((WO95298)) which can be downloaded from the National Archives website. Be aware the WD date differs from CWGC in that it records KiA on the 12th. Check carefully first this is the correct diary as the site seems to have split the whole up into different downloadable parts. For Egypt coverage you require the WD for 35 Brigade from embarkation 11.01.16 until they returned to France on 14.4.16. Then 1 Brigade WD on 19.04.16 till joining 16 Brigade 02.05.16 till coming under 4 Brigade (f:HAG) as mentioned above

Rgds Paul

Edited by ororkep
Corrected dates

I think the James Clavell Library closed in 2016.  The Royal Artillery archives have been relocated to Larkhill and wait for the new centre to built.  There is an archivist in place who might be able to help.

Peter

10 hours ago, KONDOA said:

Always worth checking James Cavill library at Woolwich, there's stuff in there not at TNA.

Roop

10 hours ago, petwes said:

I think the James Clavell Library closed in 2016.  The Royal Artillery archives have been relocated to Larkhill and wait for the new centre to built.  There is an archivist in place who might be able to help.

Peter

19 hours ago, ororkep said:

Unfortunately there is no surviving WD for that Hvy Bty. CWGC records there was only one man killed at the Somme from that Bty. For starters you can find out where they were positioned and what happened to Hallett in the higher formation war diary 25 HB were a component battery within at the time, from 29.07.16. this was 4 HAG (Hvy Arty Group WD ((WO95298)) which can be downloaded from the National Archives website. Be aware the WD date differs from CWGC in that it records KiA on the 12th. Check carefully first this is the correct diary as the site seems to have split the whole up into different downloadable parts. For Egypt coverage you require the WD for 35 Brigade from embarkation 11.01.16 until they returned to France on 14.4.16. Then 1 Brigade WD on 19.04.16 till joining 16 Brigade 02.05.16 till coming under 4 Brigade (f:HAG) as mentioned above

Rgds Paul

Cheers everybody

I 'll get onto those WD's and see what i can find out , thanks for the info Paul , its just what i was looking for . I can always try Larkhill at a later date .

NB - I think i have the answer to the differing dates of death , I'am lucky enough to have a letter sent to the Hallett family from his officer( Walter was his servant ) a few days after he was killed . He tells them that Walter was killed while he was with him in the village and the German's sent over a few 5.9,s during the night of the 11th and buried very quickly the next morning the 12th. I can see how dates may have been confused .

Thanks again

Martin  

Martin,

Walter James Hallett's pension record ledger entry survives if you haven't already found it. Unfortunately it tells you no more about his service.

Peter

Cheers Peter,

Thanks for that , but i have had a look at the pension record , your right , no new info there . I'am hoping there might be something interesting in the WD . Might also a try a new post under the soldiers section you never know !

Thanks again

Martin 

• 2 weeks later...

4 x BL 60 pdrs to the rght.  Looks like a battery inspection.  BTW,  One sub has a broken axle or bearing.  A jack is being used for support.  Tthe gun fitter and wheelwright may be too busy preparing for their own inspection.  Nothing ever changes. 

The other subs look suspiciously like they are doing some dry training.  BTW, If i was that Gun Guard,  I'd be standing the other side of that trail !

Hey Gunner ,

Question for you , the chap i'am looking into , Gnr Hallett was a officer's servant/groom , do you think he would have spent any time on the Guns ?

Cheers

Martin

Hello Dorset Dan,

I'm not a period expert - but I'd assume so.  I'm sure that it was an additional job to normal duties,  rather than a full time posistion. I'm told that it held some perks,  a servant would be excused some of the more onerous tasks. Polishing boots, heating up rations and making tea is a lot more pleasant than being on ammo resupply or gun pit digging.  

Hello Martin

He would almost certainly have been trained to be part of a gun detachment, but might not have been a regular part of the detachment. There were various other jobs done by Gunners, such as range-finders, patrols and orderlies, and there were also eight in the battery ammunition column.

Ron

Edited by Ron Clifton

Thanks for the info chaps.

Very much appreciated as always.

Martin

NB - Poor Walter may have had a few more perks with his job as a servant , but was killed by shell fire while chopping firewood for the Officer's Mess ! How unlucky was that !

Toast to Walter. our old comrade. 

"We have no gaudy colours, boys,

To flap before the wind,

No music to remind us, of the girls we left behind,

But when we are in battle,

Why that’s the time to see

The ragged tailed old blighters,

Of the Royal Artillery."