Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Amiens or Albert

Dawson

Off to the Somme again this August, and I was hoping to stay in either Albert or Amiens, and I'am in need of some suggestions.

I do like a bit of nightlife, a few beers etc, and a nice hotel. So wheres best?

Opinions welcome.

Thank you.

Ian.

Here's a suggestion, what about Arras (if you're looking for somewhere there abouts, with a great WW1 history itself and don't mind driving the short distances to the Somme battlefields etc). Attractive place, good bars, great restaurants- a bit more lively than Albert after hours. Good Best Western right in the centre as well.

Anyway, sorry to go off piste on this one, you might have specific reasons for visiting Albert and Amiens.

Mark

Amiens is quite a long way from the major war actions. Albert is a bit limited for choice: its a well-known fact I detest the Royal Picardy hotel [others have had good experiences there, to be fair], and the others are two star or below. You pays your money ................

The Salient is much more lively and civilised at night, of course.

Hi

first time I visited Somme we stayed, for some reason, in Amiens and it was a mistake as the drive in and out every morning and night was tiring and took vital hours from our daily walks.

Pick Albert for Somme and Arras for general battlefields.

Tony

For the Somme I stayed on more then one occasion (each) in Amiens, Albert and Arras but Cambrai is my choice. And yes, I never get tired of the Bapaume - Cambrai road :D

Regards,

Marco

David and I strongly disagree about Royal Picardie in Albert but no one claims it's much of a town for night life, in fact it's terrible. Amiens is terrific with world class cathedral but a bit far. Arras is also real good, lively, lots of 1st class restaurants around grand place but 45 minutes? from Somme battlefields. Hotel Mercure is nice and central but eat on the main square.

Interesting people's perception. The French website Mappy.Com clearly shows that Arras to Albert via the most express route is 48.7km. Amiens to Albert is 28.5km!

There are some great places to eat at Amiens and also at Arras; Arras is probably the nicer of the two destinations, and there is a nice Ibis hotel right in the middle of the city in between the two main squares.

Arras fine but B E W A R E ............ avoid the Citadelle, which has not a great deal to do with Great War anyway. It certainly was, and probably still is, infamous for thefts from unguarded cars of tourists. I am afraid our battlebus was one such victim. The police shrugged and said it happens there all the time.

I would vote for Ameins out of the two original choices. Albert is very quiet, the Royal Picardie was OK, but the restaraunt is expensive. Finding somewhere to eat on a Sunday evening was a bit of a struggle, it was nearly McDonalds! :(

The drive from Amiens is not bad, the road is mostly straight and not too busy, and Amiens is a big city with plenty of choice of places to eat, go out, see, shop (if you're into that, or those you are with are).

Alan

• 4 weeks later...

A bit late for my comment - but I spent a week in Amiens in 1999 before going on to Verdun. i was very pleased with my choice. I liked having a variety of restarurants. I walked early every monring - about 5 - and the town and along the river was interesting. My hotel was comfortable - on a square - forget the name. I visited the Cathedral. One day I was tired of graves and trenches and just relaxed and did the Cathedral and then went on a boat ride of the Somme water area - forget the name. Didnt mind the daily drive - went Peronne along the river, Albert and around, and didnt find it a hassle at all.

Kathie

Some top class restaurants in Amiens. Arras also a fun place to spend the evening. Albert dead as a dodo.

There was a nice restaurant down at Blackhorse bridge but I understand the owners sold up.

There was a nice restaurant down at Blackhorse bridge but I understand the owners sold up.

I think you must mean the Auberge de la Vallee de l'Ancre?

It's not quite at Blackhorse Bridge, but it is still there in the village of Authuille:

6 Rue Moulin (80300)

Tél : 03.22.75.15.18

Unless it has closed over the New Year?

Hi There, :)

Albert is very central and nice, but dead at night. I went to Arras last year and had a great time so I'm off there again in July.

Plenty of choice for eating and lots of good bars. There's a very good Irish bar near the station.

Cheers

Tim.

I've spent some pleasant evenings in bars in Albert, but there is not the range of eating places that you find elsewhere.

Arras is a little more lively and has plenty of interest to see, though it can be a bit sad if you find yourself there when a fairground has occupied the Grand Place.

Amiens is a growing favourite and is, of course, handier for the 1918 battlefields. The cheese and wine available in the covered market are superb and there is so much more going on around the town. There are also sights such as the Amiens Gaol on the Albert road which was attacked by Mosquitos in WW2 (operation Jericho) to rescue/release patriots and there are cemeteries not far away including one near Longeau which has some of the sandstone coloured headstones. Sadly you can't really eat at Godbert's as the RFC used to do, but there are plenty more fine places to try and it boasts a fine "Maison de Culture", theatre and cinemas and a good choice of hotels in and around the town. The cathedral, the largest gothic cathedral in europe, is also home to a number of memorials. It is also illuminate din colour during the summer evenings - a sight I find spectacular (and I'm not usually a fan of "Son et Lumiere". "Birdsong" fans may also want to trace the places upon which the book is based.

Night-life in the trendy "St Leu" district will also keep you entertained well beyond the early hours.

Travelling distances vary depending on which part of which battlefield you are visiting and all three places (not to mention Cambrai) are well worth exploring in the course of visits to France.

Personally Amiens also has the attraction that Kate's bridesmaid lives there with her husband and young daughter Matthilde (they are all French). Matthilde can easily be recognised by her Northampton RFC hat & scarf and a prediliction for Pooh Bear and Thomas the Tank engine. She's only three!

Many thanks for all your suggestions.

I have now booked myself in at the Ibis Arras, for a week in August, so any must see sights or where to eat,drink etc, will be most welcome.

Thanks again.

Ian

Many thanks for all your suggestions.

I have now booked myself in at the Ibis Arras, for a week in August, so any must see sights or where to eat,drink etc, will be most welcome.

Thanks again.

Ian

Hi Ian, :)

I'm stopping there in July, I'll let you know how I get on !!!

Cheers

Tim.