Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

I'm hoping someone can help me find out more information about my Great-Grandad.

His name was William Young and He served in the 16th Battalion of the Royal Welch Fusiliers during WW1. I'm pretty sure his army no. 22383, if I remember correctly what my grandad told me correctly. I know he was awarded a Military Cross in 1918 and then a Bar a couple of months later. 

This is a project I've started recently to find out more about him and I would love to know if anyone can help, either by sharing their knowledge or by pointing me in the right direction of where to start. I've currently trying countless searches  on Ancestry but it's difficult with the limited information I have. 

Thanks, 

Abi

Hi Abi,

And welcome to the forum.

I don't know if you have seen the medal index card of William Young 22383.

Link to MIC

I assume that you know for certain that this man is your great grandfather, in as much that you have his medals or some documentation with his number on.

Firstly it shows that the number quoted was his service number in the first regiment in which he entered a theatre of war.

This was in the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers, an Irish regiment, in which he was a Corporal, and with whom he disembarked in the Balkans (Salonika) on November 5th 1915.

By the end of the war, he had been a commissioned as an officer, as a 2nd Lieutenant, then a Lieutenant in the Royal Welsh (Note correct spelling) Fusiliers.

He was awarded the MC at some point, in addition to his 1914-15 Star, War & Victory medals.

His medals were sent to his address, 20 Plantation Street, Accrington, Lancs on 8/10/1920.

There is a bit more information on his medal card that the experts can extract.

It is possible that his officer's file may still exist at the National Archive.

Lots of leads for you to follow.

Good luck.

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

Hi Abi,

It seems that he was physically decorated on 21st January 1920.

image.png.f1eb2f99749f9dc3a3bb940e54678366.png

Image source: The National Archives - file WO 389/24

From the National Archives (file WO 389/7), his MC action appears to be for events on 22nd July 1918, and the Bar for 18th August 1918.

image.png.cf20e7cd573ad0d3c797c365d09fc24a.png

image.png.bb82463480a2b4c7c28e2412ed8cfb14.png

The Battalion war diary is here at the National Archives, or here on Ancestry. Brigade HQ and Division HQ (General Staff) can add more context to the Battalion as they can include 'extras' such as orders, maps, and reports on operations. The search pages are here and here. There is good advice on how to research a soldier here.

Regards

Chris

Edited by clk