Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Shepherd - Artillery

buritonian

Hi, I'm helping a local learn more about their relatives service during ww1. Perhaps someone could help? 

It's Frank Shepherd, thought to have served in the Royal Field Artillery (Service Number 16068) but we don’t know when or where he might have served. That's all I know, anyone able to give us a steer? Either Frank or his brother Frederick are reported wounded 4th September 1915... though we don;t know which one. 

Regards,

Paul

17 minutes ago, buritonian said:

Frank Shepherd, thought to have served in the Royal Field Artillery (Service Number 16068) but we don’t know when or where he might have served. That's all I know,

Surely you must also know which part of the country he came from?

BillyH.

56 minutes ago, buritonian said:

thought to have served in the Royal Field Artillery (Service Number 16068)

Where does this information come from? Do you have medals or other that can confirm this? Is it Frank, Frederick or both we are looking for? Sharing all information can save an immense amount of time and effort

J

I can’t see anyone with that service number though there are Shepherds on the medal index on ancestry in Royal Field Artillery one is a driver. More info if poss as per the post above thanks

This is Frank Shepherd's medal index card on ancestry https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interactive/1262/30850_A001403-01241/3423978?backurl=&ssrc=&backlabel=Return

Edit to add: His service record also survives. https://www.ancestry.com/interactive/1219/30600_192853-00618/1796360?backurl=&ssrc=&backlabel=Return

Edited by HarryBrook

Hi Thanks for the efforts - They lived in Buriton, Petersfield, Hampshire. One is thought to be a driver as suggested. Frank is the one we hope to learn more about. Namely where did he serve. I'm not sure on the origin of the info we have other than via a distant living relative.

16068 Frank Shepherd was wounded 9 Aug 1916 (gunshot wound right forearm), but can see nothing about an earlier wound on 4 Sept 1915

He served in France and then Mesopotamia. There's a fair bit in his service papers.

Frederick is still elusive. Do you have his date of birth?

Also on Pension claim and only 1916 injury

George

Two questions please

what is their father's name?

and reported wounded 1915 but where is report to be found?

George

There are service records for a few Frederick Shepherds born 1895 will look asap

There is a Fred shepherd in the rasc as a driver but will wait till more family info appears as easier to determine. 

Name: Frank Shepherd
Age in 1911: 16
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1895
Relation to Head: Son
Birth Place: Buriton, Hampshire, England
Civil Parish: Buriton
Search Photos: Search for 'Buriton' in the UK City, Town and Village Photos collection
County/Island: Hampshire
Street address: Weston, Petersfield, Hants
Registration district: Petersfield
Registration District Number: 106
Sub-registration district: East Meon
ED, institution, or vessel: 2
Household schedule number: 11
Piece: 6184
Household Members:
Name Age
Edmund Mail Shepherd 50
Agnes Shepherd 40
Edmund Shepherd 20
Charles Shepherd 18
Frank Shepherd 16
Frederick Shepherd 13
Ellen Annie Shepherd 10
Ernest Shepherd 6
William Shepherd

Hi and thank you all for the above input. Let's hope it was a big house with 11 residents!

Don't know the fathers name.

My friend has just advised me that baptism records show him baptised on 30th March 1895. BUT a Census taken in 1939 says he wasn’t born until 25th June 1895. Does this help at all. Not sure that it can.

The 1915 wounding we heard of was from a line a locals diary, but it was vague so we don't know which of the 2 Shepherd brothers it was referring to. Could it be Frank (or could he be ruled out)?

As above frank born 1895 if you go on ancestry you will find further info for the above family