Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Training Reserve

Woodsc

Hello

I am researching a soldier who appears to have joined the Notts & Derby and then transferred to the Royal Dublin Fusiliers. I believe he enlisted in 1916 around the time the Training Reserve was setup and understand it was normal practice to be transferred to another regiment following training to fill the gaps.

I have picked up the following information which states he formerly 13633 Training Reserve

Charles is listed in Part 73, The Royal Dublin Fusiliers, of "Soldiers Died in the Great War". The entry reads:  Howden, Charles, born Wintringham [sic], Lincoln, enlisted Brigg, 40154, Private, Killed in Action, France and Flanders, 24.4.1917. Formerly 13633 Training Reserve.

His MIC lists two regiment numbers but no reference to his TR number ~ Could someone please clarify his sequence of numbering following his enlistment would it have been ~ TR 13633 ~ 80102 ~ 40154.

Looking at the LLT could he have enlisted in the 19th Sherwood Foresters and then been transferred to 19th Training Reserve Brigade and trained in Newcastle before allocation to the RDF.

Any clarification would be appreciated I'm just unsure how the numbering process works

Thank You 

MIC crop.jpg

• Admin

Records indicate that he was originally 14th TRB, sent to the BEF on 08/03/1917 and then transferred (at 14/IBD) to the 16th Bn N&D on 10/03/1917 but he then was further transferred to the 1/RDF, also at 14/IBD. on 01/04/1917.

Regards

Russ

16 hours ago, RussT said:

Records indicate that he was originally 14th TRB, sent to the BEF on 08/03/1917 and then transferred (at 14/IBD) to the 16th Bn N&D on 10/03/1917 but he then was further transferred to the 1/RDF, also at 14/IBD. on 01/04/1917.

Regards

Russ

Hello Russ

Thank You So Much!!

I have just spent the last few evenings trying to source the information which you have identified in minutes ~ What's the secret ?

Would you share the sources of your response or if prefer not to I am not offended. I subscribe to Ancestry and there are no service records for Charles Howden and the information you have provided is so concise ~ should I be looking to subscribe to another family history site?

Any guidance appreciated

Colin

• Admin

Hi Colin - it was just a question of wading through a few service records.

I use FMP, who have indexed service records far better than Ancestry - although they should also be on that site in principle.

If you look at the RDF medal roll page for 80102/40154 Howden (attached) you will notice that men with similar RDF service numbers were also ex N&D and that they are in surname alphabetical order for both their N&D and RDF numbers. This tells me that they must have been transferred at the same time and at the same place. So it was then just a question of searching for records of any of these men in this sequence. There are a goodly number of records available (easily found on FMP), so it wasn't too difficult. A record for Harry Ashton 80081/40134 is attached, which gives the key dates I provided.

Regards

Russ

howdon 1.JPG

howdon 2.JPG

Edited by RussT

Training Reserve battalions served only at home and so details of numbers etc would not appear on medal index cards. Later on, various TR battalions were converted to 51st, 52nd and 53rd battalions of line regiments which did serve abroad, but mostly after the Armistice.

Ron

2 hours ago, RussT said:

Hi Colin - it was just a question of wading through a few service records.

I use FMP, who have indexed service records far better than Ancestry - although they should also be on that site in principle.

If you look at the RDF medal roll page for 80102/40154 Howden (attached) you will notice that men with similar RDF service numbers were also ex N&D and that they are in surname alphabetical order for both their N&D and RDF numbers. This tells me that they must have been transferred at the same time and at the same place. So it was then just a question of searching for records of any of these men in this sequence. There are a goodly number of records available (easily found on FMP), so it wasn't too difficult. A record for Harry Ashton 80081/40134 is attached, which gives the key dates I provided.

Regards

Russ

howdon 1.JPG

howdon 2.JPG

Hi Russ

Thanks for taking the time to explain your search process ~ so easy when explained.

There has been a few instances when FMP has come up with service records which don't appear on Ancestry ~ may have to consider a change in the future.

Thank You once again

Colin