Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Finding Photos of Soldiers

Jacorb

Hi, I know that finding photos of Soldiers can be nearly impossible if your family doesn't have one, so I was wondering if any knew any ways of possibly finding a photo. If it makes any difference, I am looking for a British soldier.

Thanks for any help.

Jacorb,

During the GW, wives and parents in the UK whose loved one was serving were encouraged to send a photo of their man to the hometown newspaper, together with VERY general details of his unit ( no clues for the enemy).

I managed to find a photo of my g’father this way!

Suggest that you search the appropriate newspapers in the timeline after he enlisted.

Please let us know if it works out for you.

I have the feeling that there is a website for this, but cannot recall at the moment.

Regards,

JMB

If the serviceman died, it's possible the local newspaper would carry a photo of him.  

Also, try to locate the living descendants of any aunts or uncles.  I have a number of photos sourced from my Great-Grandmother of her nephews during their Great War service.  I've been able to identify most of them but a few are still unidentified.  

I wouldn’t know whether this was common but in my grandads case a platoon photo was taken sometime prior to going overseas.

Unless you can pick him out of such a shot this may prove fruitless. Local newspapers as suggested above may provide your best chance.

Who are you searching?

Simon

Do you have a birth place? If so, look for the local newspaper of that town.

If not, then assume Nottinghamshire is place of birth; largest town is Nottingham, so check the newspaper(s) there.

Regards,

JMB

edit: many papers are online; otherwise, contact the city archivist for help.

Edited by JMB1943
Add info

Is this the man?

Born 1896 in Radcliffe on Trent? If so we have different units to search too.

George

Service number L/23665
Regiment Royal Field Artillery

Unit / Battalion

The above newspaper relates to man born 1904

5th Reserve Battalion, 14th Brigade, 610th Reserve Battery

Edited by George Rayner

FindMyPast has some searchable newspaper records.  An additional fee above the standard access fee is required.

There's also the British Newspaper Archive which, again, requires a fee.

Most local libraries offer both the above resources as a free service.

If you can't find an appropriate local newspaper in either of the above, your only option is to visit the town's local history archive in hopes they have old newspapers on microfiche or some other medium.