Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Marine ranks embarked

Muerrisch

I have in the back of my mind that RM officers embarked as part of RN ship's company had their rank raised by one, to maintain equivalence with the RN officers. Thus, on a battleship, a captain RM became a major and ranked with the Lt Commanders.

The KR Army carry no such information.

Please can a member provide chapter and verse or tell me that I am wrong [nothing new there!]

It is complicated somewhat, depending on whether the RM officer concerned entered before or after 1 January 1912. However, in broad terms: an RM Lieutenant over two years seniority ranked with a Lieutenant RN; an RM Lieutenant over 10 years seniority ranked with (but after) Lieutenant Commander RN; Captain RM ranked with Lieutenant Commander RN; Major RM ranked with Commander RN; and Lieutenat Colonel RM ranked with Captain RN under 3 years seniority. [Source - Relative Rank of the Officers of the Navy and Army - Navy List (Rank and Command).]

N.B. they did NOT "have their rank raised by one" when embarked, The RM rank remained the same.

Also described here I think

"Relative Rank – By Order-in-Council October 1912 the question of relative rank of Naval and Marine Officers afloat was altered. It had originally been laid down by Order-in-Council 10th February 1747, but in course of time the age of officers had altered and the position was very anomalous. For officers entered under the 1900 and 1911 schemes the matter had been adjusted, but nothing had been done for those entered prior to that date. As thc order said “Owing to the extended periods servcd as Lieutenant and Captain and the later ages at which promotion is obtained in Royal Marines, ccmpared with officers of other branches, as well as by thc nature of the duties allotted to then while afloat." Therefore it was ruled that Lieutenante RM over two years’ seniority and also Captains should rank with Lieutenants; Majors with Commanders, according to dates of seniority; though very soon modifications were introduced. It only applied afloat."

see page 131 here https://rmhistorical.com/files/content/History of RM - Blumberg %26 AJD.pdf