Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2Lt. R Reid 130FC RE

bobpike

Can anyone help further with any details, please on :-

Robin Reid who left Fettes School in 1914, and died of wounds received at the Battle of the Somme July 13th 1916 aged 19. he was a 2nd. Lieutenant 130 Field Co. Royal Engineers. He is buried in Heilly Station Cemetery, Mericourt-L'Abbe.

He was 5ft 10ins tall, that he died at the 36th Casualty Clearing Station and left estate valued £425 - 5s - 11d.

Bob

CWGC

has a different Christian name.

Name: REID, ROBERT ROBERTSON

Initials: R R

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Royal Engineers

Unit Text: 130th Field Coy.

Date of Death: 13/07/1916

Additional information: Son of George Whyte Reid and Margaret Jane Reid, of 44, Fellowes Rd., Hampstead, London. Born at Durban, Natal, South Africa.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: I. B. 37.

Cemetery: HEILLY STATION CEMETERY, MERICOURT-L'ABBE

Stephen,

Robin was a family name. His middle name, Robertson was his mother's maiden name, Francis, his younger brother's middle name was Smith, being his maternal grandmother's maiden name.

Francis Reid joined the army, seeing service in Kurdistan and Iraq between 1919- 1920, North Africa WW2, Secretary to 3 Speakers of The House of Commons, knighted and died in 1970.

• 10 years later...
Guest Charles Frater

Robin Reid was my wife's great uncle and a small suitcase of his memorabilia has been passed down to us. I have been going through it and scanning in photos and documents although it is immensely sad to find out how little is left of his memory. My wife and her sisters only remember what was said about him. We have various obituaries, service medals, citations and many photographs of when he was at Fettes, especially the times at Barry Camp in 1913 and 1914. If there is any interest in this material, I would be happy to pass on the information.

Charles Frater

charles.frater@btinternet.com

• 9 years later...
On 21/01/2005 at 15:22, bobpike said:

Stephen,

Robin was a family name. His middle name, Robertson was his mother's maiden name, Francis, his younger brother's middle name was Smith, being his maternal grandmother's maiden name.

Francis Reid joined the army, seeing service in Kurdistan and Iraq between 1919- 1920, North Africa WW2, Secretary to 3 Speakers of The House of Commons, knighted and died in 1970.

Bob, hello, I wonder if you know why Robin appears on my local war memorial in Bearsden, on the outskirts of Glasgow?

best wishes, Andrew