Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Maj G Sumpter DSO, MC, RFA KIA 20/8/20

PhilB

The only information I can find on this man is:-

From the Royal Artillery Commemoration Book, pg 342-3:

Major G Sumpter DSO, MC, RFA was a senior liaison officer to the Armies of New Russia (HQ Kieff). There were also LOs to the Russian corps in each army (ie Caucasian, Don and Volunteer as well as New Russia).

"Major G Sumpter, while en route to join his group at Kieff during the retreat in December, 1919 found himself cut off from them, and, joining General Borbovitch's Cavalry Brigade, fought for several weeks with their Lewis gun detachment, gaining great distinction."

From CWGC, Haidar Pasha Memorial:-

Order of St. Anne, 2nd Class (Russia). Son of Nina Sumpter, of 5, Portsdown Avenue, Golders Green, London, and the late Thomas George Sumpter. Proceeded to France with 7th Div., October, 1914. Wounded 1st Battle of Ypres and the Battle of the Somme. A member of British Military Mission to Russia, 1919.

Are there any indications as to how he might have met his death?

Hi

His Order of St Ann, 2nd Cl W/swords Comes under File: "WO 32/5411  Decorations & medals: Regulations governing acceptance & wearing of Russian decorations 1918-29": this file also states 2nd Cl without swords.

Then this File: "WO 388/4  Decorations awarded to, and received from, Russia & Serbia 1915-17 & 1915-20": states he is entitled to an Order of St Vladimir, 4th Cl W/swords and Bow

Peter

Major Sumpter is mentioned in 'The Returning Army' by Huntley Gordon the Classic Memoir of a Field Gunner in Flanders - Sumpter was Huntlys Battery Commander. At the time he is commanding D Battery with 112th Brigade RFA in the area of Hell Fire corner. He gets regular mentions between pages 109 -117 where mention is made of his death in Russia in 1920.

Edited by Rob B

There is a very good obituary here - https://elizabethan.westminster.org.uk/Filename.ashx?tableName=ta_elizabethan&columnName=filename&recordId=425

The final paragraphs give an idea of the final action he was in:

A fellow-officer, who was with him in Asia Minor, writes:
"I am sure he met the noble end he would have wished. The only Englishman in the field, he was killed instantaneously after rallying the
Greeks in the shock of a surprise. There is no doubt that his gallantry prevented a panic and great loss of life. The Greeks, although they lost
heavily, spoke only of "the English Captain" when coming from the action.
Captain Sumpter spent his last night with me in my room at the Greek Headquarters. . . . 
I remember meeting him late at night on the Ismidt Road and riding in with him. He breakfasted with me early the next morning and moved off
with the column. Soon after midday I received a message that the column had been cut up and the English captain killed. Within half an hour I moved out
with the remainder of the Greeks and a section of English artillery. Shortly afterwards we met the remains of the column falling back in disorder,
and I found Captain Sumpter's Turkish groom, who told me that he had seen his master shot, and the Greek officer, who had tried to get to him, killed also. . .
A party of Greeks found the bodies of Captain Sumpter and the Greek officer side by side. . ."

From - The Elizabethan
Vol. XVI. No. 13. WESTMINSTER, DECEMBER, 1920.

David thank you, what a stunning write up.  He was without doubt a very brave and compassionate man indeed.

Hi All

As David posted earlier but there is a lot more to read.......

Here is his service history, written by his widow...  https://elizabethan.westminster.org.uk/Filename.ashx?tableName=ta_elizabethan&columnName=filename&recordId=425

Scroll down to page 121

Regards Barry

Edited by The Inspector

• 3 weeks later...

The British Military Mission to White Russian Gen. Denikin/Wrangel withdrew from the Crimea to Constantinople in July 1920, iSumpter previously served with the Military Mission to the White Russians before joining the British Army of the Black Sea in Anatolia where he met his death.