Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Blue puttees

DrB

I paint WWI miniatures and would like to do a Newfie or Anorak wearing blue puttees. Apparently the Royal Newfoundland Regt wore them and I have seen, somewhere, references to a Canadian unit wearing them as well.

When did they wear them? Throughout their entire deployment or what? Did the Newfoundlanders wear them on 1 July, 1916?

The pop histories, Macdonald, et. al., make no mention of them..

Also need to know the color worn, dark, medium or light.

Any other details would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thank you.

DrB

:huh:

DrB,

Only the original members of the Newfoundland regiment wore the "Blue Puttees" and I seem to recall only the first 500 men. They were ever after known as the "Blue Puttees" as a sign of being an original. They were issued blue puttees because nothing else was available.

I don't believe that they wore these past service in the UK in 14/15.

The 48th Highlanders (Canada) also had blue puttees--Don't know if these were actualy used by the CEF unit. They may have been only a militia uniform item and may very well have been post war but I'm not sure.

Joe Sweeney

Thanks Joe....with the notable lack of responses, I was beginning to believe this was perhaps another myth.

DrB

;)

I seem to recall seeing a book on the Royal Newfoundlanders, and while the picture was artistic interpretation, the "Blue" puttees were almost horizon blue, like the french uniforms. But I also have an idea that the puttees were made out of similar stuff to the injured soldiers "denim" coloured outfits you see when they are recupperating at home in blighty.

why not post a piccie of your finished article ?

JW

Thanks for the info, Julian. Now I have a "color" to paint by, even if it is "artistic interpretation."

I haven't got a digital camera yet, but I will attempt to picture it with an SLR. It will take awhile yet, as I haven't even selected the figure yet.

Regards,

DrB

;)

The 48th Highlanders of Canada also are known about the town as "The Glamour Boys" or "The Dirty Four Dozen". Like any Regiment, nicknames have been attached through events in history by rival Regiments.

The Regiment earned the nickname of the "Glamour Boys" during the ... Second World War ... at Aldershot, England from other Regiments in the 1st Canadian Division, 1 Brigade (The Royal Canadian Regiment and the Hastings and Prince Edward Regiment). The Glamour Boys specifically refers to an event where an inspection by King George V left the Regiment with non-regulation blue putties due to shortages. During the inspection His Majesty inquired why the Regiment wore blue putties and why everyone else had Khaki putties. Much to the CO's chagrin, he explained that the Regiment did not have regulation putties due to the shortages. King George V, retorted that he liked the blue putties much better and to keep them. From that day on the Regiment wore blue putties until the battle dress was phased out and "The Glamour Boys" earned their nickname.

I am not well-versed in the Highland Regiments, but at least the 48th will not fit with the Great War.

Regarding the Royal Newfoundland Regiment, here is a good website.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Royal Newfoundland Regiment & The Newfoundland Forestry Corps - World War 1

An impressive and detailed website regarding the Royal Newfoundland Regiment, the regimental history [The First Five Hundred - A History of the Royal Newfoundland Regiment], nominal rolls, war graves, and general information. Site maintained by Daniel Breen.

http://ngb.chebucto.org/NFREG/index1.shtml

Borden Battery...thanks for the info on the 48th and the origin of their nickname. Also a thank you for the Newfoundland link...Good "stuff!"

DrB

:P

The 48th Highlanders of Canada ....during the ... Second World War ... at Aldershot, England from other Regiments in the 1st Canadian Division, 1 Brigade (The Royal Canadian Regiment and the Hastings and Prince Edward Regiment). The Glamour Boys specifically refers to an event where an inspection by King George V ..........

Amazing - and George V had been dead at least 3 years by the time WW2 started (having expired on 20JAN36)....

Cheers

Edward

"Men of the Newfoundland Regiment who died just previous to 1st July, 1916, or who were killed or died of wounds in the French raid on 28th June."

What happened on this raid?

Interesting about George V and his inspection ... this information was quoted from their website. Perhaps the story is part of their now accepted folklore.

Regarding the Royal Newfoundland Regiment ... very interesting story here.

Here are two websites to check out ... the latter website [under The First Five Hundred - A History of the Royal Newfoundland Regiment history may have some information]

I would recommend an email to Daniel Breen for details on the raid.

====================================================

Newfoundlanders in the Twenty-Fifth Battalion, C.E.F., 1914-1916

Seventy-five men who had been born in Newfoundland served in the 25th Battalion of the Canadian Expeditionary Force. The unit was raised in Nova Scotia. Forty men residents while the rest were living in Nova Scotia. This is yet another indication of the numbers of natives of Newfoundland who have migrated to Nova Scotia through the past two hundred years.

http://home.cogeco.ca/~nfldroots/cef25th.htm

Royal Newfoundland Regiment & The Newfoundland Forestry Corps - World War 1

An impressive and detailed website regarding the Royal Newfoundland Regiment, the regimental history [The First Five Hundred - A History of the Royal Newfoundland Regiment], nominal rolls, war graves, and general information. Site maintained by Daniel Breen.

http://ngb.chebucto.org/NFREG/index1.shtml