Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HMS Rowan

Andrew P

I was going through the microfiche of the December 3 1915 edition of 'The Western Mail' paper this week when I saw a photo of a Lt Benjamin Bolt from Fremantle WA who was serving in the RN on HMS Rowan.

It doesn't say what type of ship HMS Rowan was. I've searched through Google but all I could see was the WW2 HMS Rowan, not WW1.

Can anyone shed any light on this ship?

Regards

Andrew

HMS Rowan, Armed Boarding Steamer, 1495 tons launched 1909, Pennant Nos M.01 (1914) M1.19 (Jan 1918) M1.08 (June 1918) Armed with 2 x 12 pounder, 1 x 3 pounder, 16 knots, served 14/11/1914 to 15/6/1920.

ABS were used to examine vessels at sea enforcing the naval blockade. They worked with cruisers who stood off and covered the vessel to be inspected.

Aye

Malcolm

Hello

A little casualty information on ROWAN

On 19 November 1915, an accident on ROWAN killed one rating. He was buried in Italy.

1 April 1916, two ratings drowned and were buried in Greece

In 1918, one officer and one Mercantile Marine Reserve died of illness and were buried in Scotland and Hants, respectively.

don

Thanks Malcolm & Don. I will add this information of HMS Rowan to Lt Benjamin Bolt's bio that will be included on my database of Fremantle service men & women in WW1.

Cheers

Andrew

• 3 years later...
Guest alex.maclean2@btinternet.com

HMS RowanMy great uncle, William Anderson, served on board HMS Rowan as a trimmer. He kept a journal of his experiences, so I have some idea of what life was like aboard that ship.

The ship was based at Lemnos and spent most of its time cruising between Lemnos, Bulgaria and Greece.

On one occassion the ship sent a party onto Mount Athos, which was a monastic settlement, forbidden to outsiders, but I do not suppose a group of monks wanted to argue with the Royal Navy.

Rowan came under attack from aircraft whilst collecting troops from one of the Gallipoli beaches.

I have 'prize certificates' which would have been my uncle's share of the booty after they had captured a prize - often Greek steamers or yachts. £7 seems to have been a typical payment.

I have a lot more info on this ship, but am not sure if this forum is active.

Sandy MacLean

Welcome to the forum Sandy,

You have just reactivated the thread so other who are interested may ask you for information.

Was you great uncle serving in the Royal Naval reserve? Have you found more details of his time in that and the Merchant Marine? Being a trimmer was gruelling work.

Guest alex.maclean2@btinternet.com
Welcome to the forum Sandy,

You have just reactivated the thread so other who are interested may ask you for information.

Was you great uncle serving in the Royal Naval reserve? Have you found more details of his time in that and the Merchant Marine? Being a trimmer was gruelling work.

My uncle served as an AB with Burns Laird Line before WW1. The 'Rowan ' was requisitioned by the RN and returned to civilian service after the war, before being rammed and sunk of Corseford Point in the early 20's - my uncle left her service shortly before then.

I am not sure what a 'trimmer' was - did that involve making sure that the coal bunkers were evenly distibuted thru' the holds?

I have his complete MN service record - he went on to be Master of the steamship 'Davaar' in the mid-30's.

Regards, Sandy MacLean

I am not sure what a 'trimmer' was - did that involve making sure that the coal bunkers were evenly distibuted thru' the holds?

A trimmer ensured that the coal was evenly distributed when used, so that the trim of the ship was not adversely affected, and also that the firemen never ran short of coal for the boilers. Their main equipment were shovels, wheelbarrows and brute strength. Imagine pushing a wheel barrow along narrow trackways in the pitch and roll of a lively sea shift after shift; then add the heat of the Med. He earned his Mercantile Marine and British War Medals!

• 4 months later...
HMS RowanMy great uncle, William Anderson, served on board HMS Rowan as a trimmer. He kept a journal of his experiences, so I have some idea of what life was like aboard that ship.

The ship was based at Lemnos and spent most of its time cruising between Lemnos, Bulgaria and Greece.

On one occassion the ship sent a party onto Mount Athos, which was a monastic settlement, forbidden to outsiders, but I do not suppose a group of monks wanted to argue with the Royal Navy.

Rowan came under attack from aircraft whilst collecting troops from one of the Gallipoli beaches.

I have 'prize certificates' which would have been my uncle's share of the booty after they had captured a prize - often Greek steamers or yachts. £7 seems to have been a typical payment.

I have a lot more info on this ship, but am not sure if this forum is active.

Sandy MacLean

Sandy,

I am giving a talk in Glasgow in February 2009 about the loss of SS Rowan. My wife's ggrandfather Donald Brown was the Captain when she sank. My grandfather was a crew member of the Portpatrick Lifeboat which launched to assist.

Regards

Sandy

..a photo of a Lt Benjamin Bolt from Fremantle WA who was serving in the RN on HMS Rowan.

Andrew.

I don't know if this is him but here's a RNVR officer's service record for a Benjamin Bolt:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...p;resultcount=7

It gives the man's second name as Fremantle but I'm wondering if that's a transcription error and it's his place of birth. I couldn't find him on NAA or TNA's RN index.

regards,

Martin

p.s. There are several articles in The Times on the loss of the Rowan, if anyone is interested.

• 1 year later...
Guest Ruth Warner
I was going through the microfiche of the December 3 1915 edition of 'The Western Mail' paper this week when I saw a photo of a Lt Benjamin Bolt from Fremantle WA who was serving in the RN on HMS Rowan.

It doesn't say what type of ship HMS Rowan was. I've searched through Google but all I could see was the WW2 HMS Rowan, not WW1.

Can anyone shed any light on this ship?

Regards

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

The Benjamin Fremantle BOLT you are refering to was my great Uncle. Yes he received his Lieutenancy

in the Royal Navy and did serve on the HMS ROWAN. He was born in Fremantle 25-Feb-1886 the 2nd son of Captain Edward Cragoe and Hannah BOLT nee STREET. If you wish further information on his career or anything about the BOLT family from Fremantle I am happy to oblige.

Ruth Warner

New Zealand

Andrew.

I don't know if this is him but here's a RNVR officer's service record for a Benjamin Bolt:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...p;resultcount=7

It gives the man's second name as Fremantle but I'm wondering if that's a transcription error and it's his place of birth. I couldn't find him on NAA or TNA's RN index.

regards,

Martin

p.s. There are several articles in The Times on the loss of the Rowan, if anyone is interested.

Thanks for that Martin, I'll look that record up.

Cheers

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

The Benjamin Fremantle BOLT you are refering to was my great Uncle. Yes he received his Lieutenancy

in the Royal Navy and did serve on the HMS ROWAN. He was born in Fremantle 25-Feb-1886 the 2nd son of Captain Edward Cragoe and Hannah BOLT nee STREET. If you wish further information on his career or anything about the BOLT family from Fremantle I am happy to oblige.

Ruth Warner

New Zealand

Hi Ruth

Thanks for your message and it would be great to find out more about his career and the family links over here. I will send through muy contact details.

Cheers

Andrew

• 8 years later...

Hi Sandy or anyone who has interest in the ship called Rowan which served WW1. Can anyone tell me how passengers or soldiers and crew this ship could carry.

Next question can anyone tell me if there is a list of names of crew on this ship on 8 August 1915 and even a list of names of officers and list of names of men of different ranks which were also on that date this date too. Thank you Howie8865