Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Brustol University Officer Training Corps

Mangoman

This student of the BUOTC appears to have the lapel badge(s) of the Gloucestershire Regiment on his uniform. Does this mean that the cadets would automatically wear the badge of their County regiment while in training? I must admit that I always understood that Cadets never had an allegiance to any specific regiment? He  subsequently applied for a commission when just 19½ years of age, and was Gazetted as a 2nd Lieutenant (on probation) to the 3rd (Special Reserve) Battalion, Dorsetshire Regiment on 15th August 1914, so what significance does the badge on his tunic have as the Dorsetshires badge is completely different?.

Capture 2.JPG

dorset_regiment_cap_badge.jpg

Edited by Mangoman
Cadets didn't have an allegiance ro a regiment

I would presume it varies on a case-by-case basis.

There was a Junior Contingent of the OTC at Clifton College, and they were affiliated with the Royal Engineers. They wore their own Clifton College badge.

Clifton_College_OTC.jpg

7 hours ago, Mangoman said:

This student of the BUOTC appears to have the lapel badge(s) of the Gloucestershire Regiment on his uniform.

I’d make the suggestion that the photo shows the subject after his commission to the Dorsetshire Regiment as they too had the Sphinx (on a tablet with MARABOUT) as their collar badge.

Steve

Many thanks for your reply Steve E but as you will see from the image I attached to my inquirythe Dorsetshire badge looks entirely different from the Glosters badge but thanks for getting in touch.

8 minutes ago, Mangoman said:

Many thanks for your reply Steve E but as you will see from the image I attached to my inquirythe Dorsetshire badge looks entirely different from the Glosters badge

I can see quite clearly that the Dorsetshire Regt. badge image you've posted looks entirely different from that of the Gloucestershire Regt. but what you've posted is the Dorsetshire's Cap Badge and NOT the Collar Badge.  The Collar Badges of the two Regiment's are very similar, both have the Sphinx on a tablet but with one major difference, the tablet for the Dorset's has MARABOUT on it whereas the Gloucester's has EGYPT (unless it's a TF battalion when I believe the tablet was blank).

I still maintain the suggestion that the photo shows the subject after his commission to the Dorsetshire Regiment.

Steve 

I agree with SteveE. I think the Gloucestershire Regiment's collar dog also had some laurel wreath sprays. Images attached

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Thanks for correcting my oversight Bordercollir. I can now see that myou suggestion is correct.