Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Boer War Medals

BillyH

Not very well up on Boer War medals!

I am researching a Sgt in the Great War who had previously served with the Lancashire Fusiliers in South Africa (enlisted 1899).

I attach a scrap of the medal roll for him below, and so can I ask one of the experts to confirm (or otherwise) if this man was awarded the

King's or Queen's South Africa Medal with clasps for Cape Colony, Orange Free State, and Transvaal. And is that the correct way to write it down please?

BillyH.

gwf.jpg.3a1e4bbd0cba335c4c0727c2be256860.jpg

Billy

That roll is for the Queen's South Africa Medal with four clasps "Cape Colony", "Orange Free State", "Transvaal" and "South Africa 1902".  As the SA1902 clasp is on the QSA I would assume that he wasn't eligible for the King's South African Medal.

Steve

That's great Steve - much appreciated!

BillyH.

Sorry for jumping on this thread but I have a photo of possibly a Lancs Fusilier with QSAM.  Would the clasps be represented on the medal ribbon bar that was sewn onto the uniform?  I only ask because the QSAM is visible in the photo I have of the man but there aren't any clasps visible.

Thanks in advance,
Mark

Thanks Tony.  That's what I'd suspected but I thought I'd seen somewhere that the clasps were represented, perhaps by rosettes, on the ribbon bar.  Happy to know the clasps were only seen on the actual medal ribbon itself...and thanks for the quick reply.

Kind regards,
Mark

20 hours ago, ajsmith said:

No they're attached to the medal ribbon from which the medal hangs

Tony

To be more accurate, the bars on a Queen's South Africa (and many other medals) are riveted together at the sides to form a chain, and the bottom bar is also attached to the suspension bar of the medal itself. The ribbon is threaded behind the front of the bars, around the suspension bar of the medal, and then passes back up behind the bars.

Mike

Edited by Medaler