Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Regiment and machine gun identification

Alan_J

I recently picked up a postcard with the attached picture. There is no identifying information written on it at all, just the number 834 in the bottom right.

I'm trying to identify the unit; I think the cap badges are Somerset Light Infantry, and I'm guessing that the mnachine gun is a Lewis.

I may be absolutely wrong!

Any forum members like to have a go?

Cheers

Alan

post-23-1106263944.jpg

Difficult to tell from the scan but sure looks like Somerset Light Infantry. The weapon looks like a Maxim, but again I can't see all the features properly to tell. Can you do a more detailed scan of the gun?

Hi Paul,

That was incredibly fast - I was still trying to do a better scan even as you replied! This is the best I can get with the scanner I have here, if it doesn't help I'll try to scan it at work tomorrow.

Looking at this scan I'm pretty sure it's Somerset Light Infantry, I'd value your opinion on the machine gun and also (if it's at all possible) any ideas on the date this might have been taken from the gun, uniforms or anything else?

Alan

post-23-1106264587.jpg

Yes, it is SLI and I'm 99% sure it is a 'dummy' gun made from wood, but based on a Maxim, for training purposes. Which would probably date it 1914/15 and mean they are a New Army mob.

Paul,

Marvellous, thanks very much for your help - and within 3 minutes of each scan being posted too!

Cheers

Alan

So is the cheque....! :rolleyes:

It looks like a dummy gun, like Paul said.

I saw several models like that before.