Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RE Dispatch Riders

corisande

I was contacted by someone in Ireland who owns a Triumph Trusty motorcycle that dates back to the war of independence in Ireland

it has a number on it 29114

would that be the bike number or the owner of the bike

Its verbal history implies that it was acquired as a result of an ambush, but I cannot relate it to any serviceman in Ireland at that time. And I am aware that the longer numbers were in use by then

If the numbers were unique to the bike , how can I get any further

53 minutes ago, corisande said:

I was contacted by someone in Ireland who owns a Triumph Trusty motorcycle that dates back to the war of independence in Ireland

it has a number on it 29114

would that be the bike number or the owner of the bike

Its verbal history implies that it was acquired as a result of an ambush, but I cannot relate it to any serviceman in Ireland at that time. And I am aware that the longer numbers were in use by then

If the numbers were unique to the bike , how can I get any further

could it be a date of manufacture?

I have some photos of motorbikes taken in 1916- the number plates are two letters followed by four numbers

Corisande,

This may help.

The frame and engine both have serial numbers to date them. You would need to confirm where he has taken the number from.

There is a reference chart here-

https://www.veterantriumph.co.uk/dating-3-w.asp

If 29114 is the engine number it looks like it was a 1913 model.

If 29114 is the frame number then possibly 1919.

Later Triumphs had matching engine and frame numbers.

Scott

Thank you both for the information

i have asked the chap who contacted me to send me some photos

the bike apparently had come into the possession of a high profile IRA man during the war of Independene, and there are a number of British soldiers who disappeared on motorbikes, and whose bodies were never recovered, which is why I am trying to track down the bike

the photos may take a few days to get to me

image.png.3bd3557bdd198c4e4b70c842b6e2c445.png the 

This is what I have been sent

And there appears to be another number here

image.png.115192557eaa6470629ca2db8cf68fff.png

Corisande,

The second image appears to be the frame number. 294784? Which would put it at 1919 based on that link I posted previously.

The first image looks like that number has been stamped into a component, but it doesn't look like an engine number. The registered part of that number would comply with a part that has been patented.

Engine numbers seem to be stamped on the left side of the crankcase, just below where the cylinder barrel mounts into the crankcase. I have attached an image that shows engine 42571 (taken from the net).

Be aware that it is normal to see different engines in frames and vice versa one hundred years on.

I don't know how you would link the bike to military service either. There are records available for batches of serial numbers supplied to the WD for WW2 motorcycles, as well as WD census numbers. I don't believe these exist for WW1 motorcycles. It may be worth contacting the proprietor at Veteran Triumph Spares.

There is a forum member on here occasionally, 'vintage sunbeam' who wrote an interesting book on early despatch riders. He may be able to assist you more.

Scott

Trusty engine number.JPG

Edited by Waddell
Added more.

Thank you for that valuable extra information 

i will ill follow up on your suggestions. I had forgotten about the Dispatch Rider book, and that member may well be able to help