Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

5th Dorsets No 10547

Paul Reed

During my recent visit to Gallipoli I had the opportunity to see some items recovered from the Suvla battlefield which belonged to a Private of the 5th Dorsets, regimental No 10547.

I have checked SWD CD Rom, and no trace - so he seemingly survived.

However, the pattern of numbers for the dead of this battalion indicate his surname began with an H.

Any Dorsets experts out there who can assist or any kind soul able to check the 14/15 star roll for the Dorsets for me?

Any information would be welcome.

Paul.

He may have died later and have the replacement 6 digit number issued to the Territorials on 1 March 1917.

John

Thanks John, but 5th Dorsets were a New Army battalion and so this doesn't apply. I also tried searching for his number in the 'formerly' section of SWD in case he transferred to another unit - no trace.

Thanks for the input, though.

Sorry Paul.

For some reason I read Dorsets and my mind thought Devonshire.

(even though they did not go to Gallipoli). Not one of my better posts.

John.

• 10 months later...

A very belated addition, but an answer finally...

Just discovered this thread and can confirm that the Regt No. 10547 was allotted to Arthur William PIPE. He enlisted into the 5th Bn Dorsetshire Regt on 28th August 1914, and served with the Bn in Gallipoli. He was discharged due to wounds on the 1st December 1917 aged 22¾, as a L/Sgt, and issued with War Badge No. 281010.

It would seem likely therefore that he either lost some of his kit when wounded or it was discarded when he was evacuated.

Regards

Steve

:rolleyes: As an aside to this thread;I have the 1914~1915 Star Trio & Croix de Guerre,1918; to Private 10426, William Henry Galpin,5th Dorsetshire Regiment, who survived Gallipoli & the Somme,only to be Killed by German shelling whilst assisting the locals in the Autumn Harvest on 16th September 1918,out of the Firing line,on a Day the War Diary describes as "Quite~Not Much Happening",I discovered the Citation to his Croix de Guerre,as a result of enquiries to his Home Village of Cowplain Nr Wimborne,In a Village Magazine when the C de G had been forwarded to his Widowed Mother,Mrs Mary Galpin in the Twenties:It is directly linked to his Harvesting Endeavours,"Courage In Assisting the local Farmers in Gathering in the Harvest Under Enemy Fire!"Definitely not an "Honourary" award

A very belated addition, but an answer finally...

Just discovered this thread and can confirm that the Regt No. 10547 was allotted to Arthur William PIPE. He enlisted into the 5th Bn Dorsetshire Regt on 28th August 1914, and served with the Bn in Gallipoli. He was discharged due to wounds on the 1st December 1917 aged 22¾, as a L/Sgt, and issued with War Badge No. 281010.

It would seem likely therefore that he either lost some of his kit when wounded or it was discarded when he was evacuated.

Regards

Steve

Steve - many thanks for that. Nice to put a name to this item, and pleased to see he did survive. I shall pass the information on to the owner of this item in Turkey.

• 5 years later...
Guest helensabinahardy
:rolleyes: As an aside to this thread;I have the 1914~1915 Star Trio & Croix de Guerre,1918; to Private 10426, William Henry Galpin,5th Dorsetshire Regiment, who survived Gallipoli & the Somme,only to be Killed by German shelling whilst assisting the locals in the Autumn Harvest on 16th September 1918,out of the Firing line,on a Day the War Diary describes as "Quite~Not Much Happening",I discovered the Citation to his Croix de Guerre,as a result of enquiries to his Home Village of Cowplain Nr Wimborne,In a Village Magazine when the C de G had been forwarded to his Widowed Mother,Mrs Mary Galpin in the Twenties:It is directly linked to his Harvesting Endeavours,"Courage In Assisting the local Farmers in Gathering in the Harvest Under Enemy Fire!"Definitely not an "Honourary" award

HarryBettsMCDCM,

I have attempted to contact you before, but I'm unsure of how to go about using this website, and for some reason I am banned from messaging/contacting you. I hope you are able to be alerted that I've posted this. I am a distant relative of William Henry Galpin, and have recently discovered that he was awarded the Croix de Guerre. Are you related to him? Please would you contact me to exchange information? His Aunt, Sarah Jane Galpin, is my 4x great grandmother.

Thanks! Helen Hardy

Helen - you'll be able to send private messages once you've posted 5 times - but in the meantime, I'll send a message to HarryBetts alerting him to this thread

Alan

HarryBettsMCDCM,

I have attempted to contact you before, but I'm unsure of how to go about using this website, and for some reason I am banned from messaging/contacting you. I hope you are able to be alerted that I've posted this. I am a distant relative of William Henry Galpin, and have recently discovered that he was awarded the Croix de Guerre. Are you related to him? Please would you contact me to exchange information? His Aunt, Sarah Jane Galpin, is my 4x great grandmother.

Thanks! Helen Hardy

Hello Helen,

Thank you for trying to make contact,if you forward an email to this Link I will contact you HB

Harry Betts E~Mail Link :thumbsup: