Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Conscription criteria 1918-20

clive_hughes

I know that after the end of hostilities in 1918, compulsory military service was extended to 1920 in order to cover commitments in Germany, Russia, etc.  Can anyone tell me exactly who this was applied to?  

I had assumed it might be some of the conscripts of 1916 vintage onwards, maybe in particular the newer, younger recruits, but have recently noted statements suggesting it applied to anyone enlisting during or after the Derby Scheme; plus new-raised post-Armistice young conscripts in the sense that this form of "National Service" continued without pause, and youngsters continued to be called up as they reached 17/18 yrs. until later in 1919 or 1920?   

Enlightenment sought, please.

Clive

• 3 weeks later...

Official government policy was that in 1919 only 'volunteers' were being sent to Russia even though this was patently not true, case in point being the mass mutiny in 6th Bn., Royal Marines at Murmansk in August and September 1919 in which nearly 100 Royal Marines were Courts Martialed, 13 of their number sentenced to 'Death'.

Thank you both for those illuminating answers.  So after the Armistice they hung onto many of the men they already had; stopped compulsory service; and began recruiting on Regular terms in mid-January 1919.  

Much obliged!

Clive

Putkowski quotes the mutineers as saying that the last German prisoners would be home  before the Indian mutineers is this correct or where German prisoners held after the 1919 conscripts.voluntters for clearance work ect..

reguards dave