Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lost medals

irenemct

Hi I am looking for my great grandfathers ww1 medals the 2 most common the victory medal and the British war medal . It was recommended to me to try this forum I understand it's a long shot a really long long shot . Can anyone recommend how I can find out where they are.

A bit of the story. I am researching my family tree. My great grandfather passed away in 1965 then after my great grandmother passed away in 1983 I believe one of thier sons sold the medals to goodness knows who . It was the Edinburgh/Dunbar area . I thought about contacting pawnbrokers in the area there is only 1 that was trading at that time failing that I'm stumped thank you for any advice 😀

Welcome to the Forum Irene,

If you can post some details such as full name, regiment and any other details--then it is possible that someone may recognise some of the details.  Have your tried the 'Medal Tracker' service which is available through the 'Medal News' magazine published by Token Publishing?

Robert

Thank you Robert 

No I haven't tried those 

My great grandfather name was Ninian Cockburn they lived at Dunbar/Fenton Barnes . His number I think is 6070 or 126196both these numbers are on the record he was a private in the 1st Battalion Scots Guards 

I shall research the two places you suggested thankyou

Hi

He actually has 3 numbers and was entitled to 3 medals-

Name: Ninian Cockburn
Military Year: 1914-1920
Medal Awarded: British War Medal and Victory Medal
Regiment or Corps: Royal Engineers
Regimental Number: WR.126196
Sub Unit: Railways

1st. Scots. Gds. 6070. Pte., Royal Engineers. 308980 (Previous Units)

Name: N Cockburn
Military Year: 1914-1915
Medal Awarded: 1914-15 Star
Regiment or Corps: Royal Engineers
Regimental Number: 6070
Previous Units:

S. Gds

You could also try saving a search for them on ebay.

It may be hard as they could have gone anywhere.

regards

Robert

There are also a couple of records on Findmypast, though you will need a subscription to read them One concerns a gun shot wound, and shellshock. https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=S2/GBM/SCOTS-G/SG_S12_1893-1919_6050-6099/00303&parentid=GBM/SCG-SERV/007632 The other concerns his attestation in 1905. https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=S2/GBM/SCOTS-G/SGUARDENLIST_1893-1914/00312&parentid=GBM/SCOT-G/012114 He was clearly a professional soldier.

Regards,

Alf McM

Hi Irene

it may be a while..

if you know the silver BWM was still with the other two , at least you have a good chance of getting all 3. so often in the poor years the BWM was sold to pawnbrokers and jewelers for scrap value. ebay search is a sleeper, not much will happen with a name like his, but dont lose hope.

you could try the BritishMedalForum, registration needed.

https://britishmedalforum.com/viewforum.php?f=421