Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Air Activity Visible in Islington March 1916

londons

Dear All,

Further to my previous thread a member kindly sent me a link to a webpage that detailed the above in March 1916.

Does anyone know any information about that raid and whether at any time it could have been visible from the Liverpool Road area of Islington North london?

Some event was visible around but not after the 12th March 1916 that led to my book's main character being born prematurely. I am trying to substantiate the story by trying to trace some visible event at this time.

Many thanks.

Regards,

Lee

(repeat of a previous lost version)

I have given this some cosiderable thought.

From possibly the highest buildings in Liverpool Rd being on the high ground behind Highbury and Islington Railway Station, I believe it most unlikely that even optically assisted the event at Braintree could be observed from the top floors of these.

What was clearly observed from the upper easterly facing floor of the buildings (and possible many vantage places the length of Liverpool Road) was the 'Stoke Newington Raid' on the night of 31 May/1st June. Some of the bombs fell just on one mile away, possibly closer to the point of detonation than the Zeppelin LZ-38 that released them. The bomb load included incendiaries. Some may have flared considrably during descent and at night may have appeared to be falling upon or close to Liverpool Road. What with the accompanying noise of the airship engines assuming they were moderately engaged, the somewhat slow unrushed bomb deliveryand the not so distant explosions and pyrotecnics, this the first ever bombing of London must have caused fear and shock amongst more than a few in the vicinity of the raid.

David