Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RN service no. "prefix" help

wf789

Hello all, I'm getting some reproduction medals made for my Grandad as the originals were lost. I was hoping for some assistance regarding making sure I get the correct service number as his service record has two.

Would it be:

S.S.119342 H.C.FOREMAN. STO.1. R.N.

or

KX 14259 H.C.FOREMAN. STO.1. R.N.

I think it is the former but would just like to check with those that are more knowledgable. Also, could anyone explain the difference or why he as two? Here is the page from his service record attached in link below!

https://imgur.com/6NL6rBp

WW1 only from NA: https://imgur.com/frkA6oF mentions KX number.

Lastly, am I right his medals would have been STO.1 or should it be STO.2? I want to get it correct! Seems like he was promoted to STO.1 on 16. Sept. 20? But says STO.2 on 8 Dec 42...

Thank you in advance.

Edited by wf789

STO II.  because he was not an STO I until 1920.

Dave

1 minute ago, HERITAGE PLUS said:

STO II.  because he was not an STO I until 1920.

Dave

Okay thanks Dave. I assume that is because medals were distributed in 1920? I will get STO.2 on the medals. I just need some help re the service number now :)

The WW! medal roll shows that his Victory and British War medals were issued as SS.119432 in the rating of Sto.2.

His first engagement as a Special Service (SS) stoker would have required him to serve five years in the Fleet followed by seven years in the Royal Fleet Reserve. However, his five years was cut short  and he was given a free discharge after less than four years service. In WW2 he re-engaged as s Stoker 2nd Class on a 12-year Continuous Service (CS) engagement (KX), although this may have been amended to Duration of the War.

His WW2 medals would be unnamed.

Edited by horatio2

21 minutes ago, horatio2 said:

The WW! medal roll shows that his Victory and British War medals were issued as SS.119432 in the rating of Sto.2.

His first engagement as a Special Service (SS) stoker would have required him to serve five years in the Fleet followed by seven years in the Royal Fleet Reserve. However, his five years was cut short  and he was given a free discharge after less than four years service. In WW2 he re-engaged as s Stoker 2nd Class on a 12-year Continuous Service (CS) engagement (KX), although this may have been amended to Duration of the War.

His WW2 medals would be unnamed.

Thank you Horatio2. All of this makes sense apart from the last part. Why would his medals be unnamed...? I just found an old message and someone told me it should be S.S.119342 H.C.FOREMAN. STO.2. R.N. on the medals

Edited by wf789

1 hour ago, wf789 said:

Why would his medals be unnamed...?

Because WW2 campaign medals are not named. If you did name them it would be wrong to mark them with his WW1 official number.

10 minutes ago, horatio2 said:

Because WW2 campaign medals are not named. If you did name them it would be wrong to mark them with his WW1 official number.

Very sorry, I did already know that. I somehow misread that as his you saying that  WW1 medals would be unnamed.

Thanks to all who responded, I appreciate it s lot. I have my answers :D