Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

In from the cold

Guest birdflightless

Guest birdflightless

Hi All,

I have had conformation from the C.W.G.C today, saying that a soldier that I have been researching, has been accepted for commemoration.

Pte. Rupert John Causton, 13529, 8th Suffolks, enlisted in early 1915 and served with the Suffolk regiment until he recieved a shrapnel wound to the head. He was evacuated to a hospital in London in May '18 and sent home in November '18. He was put to class 'Z' in April '19, and found work as farm labourer until, 24th/25th August 1920, when he suffered a condition similar to a stroke. After an examination, it was decided to operate for an ''abcess on the brain'. He died under anesthetic, but the operation went ahead as part of a resusitation attempt. It was found that the shrapnel was still deep within his head and had become infected, resulting in heart failure accelerated by the use of Chloroform.

Although the C.W.G.C. didn't have his details, the parish included him on the war memorial, in Little Cornard, Suffolk, as he had 'served', but had recorded him on the list of all men of the parish who went to war, as having survived, and so alerted me to his 'case'.

A glass to Mr R.J. Causton.

Thanks go to Terry Denham, for his guidance.

Stewart

Well played, Stewart.

I have raised a glass to Rupert Causton.

Regards

Jimmy

Stewart

Very good news. Well done, by you and Terry.

Is Pte. Causton buried in Little Cornard, Suffolk?

Kate

Stewart

Congratulations. I know you will be feeling that it was worth all the effort. Well done.

Can you post his date of death and burial location (if known).

Not Forgotten.

Guest birdflightless

Hi All,

I very happy that the effort, and time involved has resulted in the commemoration of Rupert, he almost feels like a relative now.

Rupert was taken ill and died on the 24th August 1920, in St. Leonards Hospital, Sudbury Suffolk.

He is buried in a family plot, in Little Cornard's Churchyard, but there are not any grave markers at all, therefore his grave location is unknown, the last burial in the plot, was his father, Maurice, in 1937.

The casualty details will read as follows;

Private

R J

CAUSTON

RUPERT JOHN

8th Bn.

Suffolk Regiment

24th August 1920

LITTLE CORNARD (ALL SAINTS) CHURCHYARD

Suffolk

United Kingdom

Regards

Stewart

Great job Stewart, well done.

Andy

Stewart,

Well Done You!

Pte. Causton deserved to be recognised.

cheers Shelley :)

Assuming that CWGC get permission, you will probably see an official war grave headstone in a year or so.

Other than in the cemetery, how do CWGC decide where to put it? Good work, not sure why it matters, just sure it does.

Paul

From what Stewart says, the grave location is known to a large degree because it is a family plot which cannot be very big. The stone would probably be placed on this and this would be acceptable.

Should this not be possible, they could put a Special Memorial headstone anywhere in the churchyard which would say 'Known to be Buried in this Churchyard' at the top.

Thank you, Stewart, this is quite a feat ... there is no direct connection with our family, but I will be sure to tell John Causton (Colchester), the Causton/Cawston One Name Study coordinator.

Cheers,

Alison