Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

catherine babe srn ww2

simon babe

on 11/1/1941 catherine babe was killed in the blitz whilst evacuating patients from the catholic nursing institute in southwark.i have heard she was awarded a medal but dont know what it was or how to find out.can anyone help?thankyou.

• 17 years later...

Thanks for this! I hadn't heard about how she died, although I know she died at the nursing institute in the Blitz. Yes, she worked in the medical forces for the Red Cross in WW1. She was awarded the 2014 Star for her service. She was also awarded the Albert and Elizabeth medal by the King of Belgium. After the war she continued work as a registered nurse in London. She continued working as a nurse until she passed away in the Blitz. What an amazing lady.

Newcastle Evening Chronicle 17/01/1941
RYTON NURSE RAID VICTIM
Decorated In Last War
One of three Catholic hospital nurses killed In a recent London air raid and member a well-known Ryton family was Miss Catherine Babe, daughter of the late Mr and Mrs. Brian Babe, of Ryton She was known as the Rev. Mother Lucy. Miss Babe, who was aged 65. had been in Catholic nursing for 31 years, chiefly at the Hospital of Our Lady of Consolation at Lambeth. She served through the last war nurse Belgium and was awarded the Albert and Elizabeth Medal by the King of the Belgians. She was formerly connected with the Stella RC. Church, near Blaydon.