Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Map Reading Manual

Ruddalo

Good morning all

My first time posting here so please let me know if i'm starting off in the right/wrong place!

As per the title, I'm trying to track down a map reading manual, which I believe is the 'Officers and SNCO Map Reading Maual' that was first published in 1917. I've been hunting online for it but so far I can only find the 'Manual of Map Reading and Field Sketching' from 1912.

Does anybody know if the 'Officers and SNCO Map Reading Maual' actually exists and who would have published it? It is quite possible that the title isn't quite accurate but I haven't been able to find it on any list of WW1 publications I've been able to access.

Thank you

John 

35 minutes ago, Open Bolt said:

I do not see that title on archive but there are a number of related titles there, you have probably seen them

https://archive.org/search.php?query=Map Reading&sin=TXT

Thank you Open Bolt.

There's some I think I have seen but it will be good to look through. That's certainly a lot of reading for me over the holidays!

18 minutes ago, DavidOwen said:

Welcome to the Forum

The 1912 manual you refer to was reprinted "with additions" in 1914 http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C16526590 sadly not yet digitised.

The next version held at TNA is the 1921 edition

Regards

David

Thanks David.

Proving to be a very helpful place already!

I'll have a look there and see where that leads, but this may be the one as I'm looking at what was being used during the Battle of Arras.