The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

The private papers of Douglas Haig, 1914-1919

Skipman

The private papers of Douglas Haig, 1914-1919: being selections from the private diary and correspondence of Field-Marshal the Earl of Bemersyde -  edited by Robert Blake

I have been laboriously typing this out and have reached May 1915 and am very happy indeed to find it online at the wonderful archive.org Now I can copy and paste this excellent volume into my notes.

Mike

Fine - but you should be able to get the far more recent (and, more to the point, fuller) version (ed John Boune and Gary Sheffield) for relative peanuts - I suspect for about £6, including postage.

3 hours ago, nigelcave said:

Fine - but you should be able to get the far more recent (and, more to the point, fuller) version (ed John Boune and Gary Sheffield) for relative peanuts - I suspect for about £6, including postage.

I'm sure it's excellent but it won't be possible to 'copy & paste' from it, will it?

Mike

On the other hand, you will be able to check Blake with the updated and fuller version.

And, yes, you have guessed it: I misread the typing bit as what you were still doing ... which should teach me to read through the whole thing and make sure that I have got the message.

Mind you, I find typing things out means that the content registers in what passes for my mind more strongly.

1 hour ago, nigelcave said:

Mind you, I find typing things out means that the content registers in what passes for my mind more strongly.

I agree. It's a very good way of learning. Extremely time consuming though, especially with my two-fingered technique, which, is pretty fast, even though I say so myself.

Mike