Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte John brown

Steve_McGarry

An artical in todays daily express (page 29) discribes some research by an essex man which enabled a body found at loos to be identified as that of L/Cpl John Brown killed at loos... The means of identification appears in the artical to be somewhat flimsy and I cannot believe this was the only ID that was used to identify the man.. Does anyone know all the details of this identfication... The way it was described in the artical was that a pen was found close to the body with "Postmans gazette pen" engraved on it.. Thats it as far as the artical goes ? John Brown was a postman in civvy street and was also killed at loos... a pen that had a connection to the post office found near a body ??? There must be a lot more to this .. anyone know the real story ?

Steve,

There are two threads on this recently, try your search facility for loos Burial. The research was quite exhaustive and took over three years to complete. The pen was quite unique in that it was given only to post workers. The postmans gazette was searched and one soldier among the missing from this regiment was found to work for the Post Office. Similarly private Browns Uncle was the editor of the gazette and had posted missing notices in this postman gazette.

I can only suggest that you check the article out and read of the research.

Andy

I should add that Peter Last was responsible for a lot of the research, he posts on this forum as LOOSER, if you want the full story i should contact him about it. There is a 5600 word article coming out in the WFA mag in April.

Andy

Great .... Thanks chaps.. I did try the search before i posted ..but nothing came up ? I will look out for the artical in stand to...