Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Influenza

Old Harry

This is a bit of an off-beat enquiry, but relevant to the Great War.

My father contracted influenza in February 1919 while on leave from the Western Front, and spent two months in the Canadian Red Cross Memorial Hospital at Taplow, Bucks, before being transferred to Plymouth for recuperation.

Attached is a section of his medical record detailing his symptoms, etc. It is well known that doctors' writing is very poor, but this appears to be an extreme example. We cannot work out what it says, and I tried it on my younger son, who is a serving doctor in the RAMC. He was stumped as well, and said that any doctor who wrote like that today would be struck off! (I think he exaggerates.)

If anyone can decipher this extract I would be grateful.

Roy.

medrecord.jpg.308f9f34b932659514f36ad206538b23.jpg

"Flu"......... with a few scattered râles and ..... temp; then normal for 3 days after which a recurrence for 6 or 7 days and with .....râles  &.....; resonance at bases. Now practically clear & convalescent. T[emp.] still subnormal P[ulse] 64-70.

Where is the poor handwriting you mentioned?:thumbsup:

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

Thanks Dai, but as you didn't decipher all the words I rest my case about the handwriting!

Roy.

I'll add a few more words to Dai Bach's

"Flu"......... with a few scattered râles and ..... temp; then normal for 3 days after which a recurrence for 6 or 7 days with.... râles  &.....; resonance at bases. Now practically clear & convalescent. T[emp.] still subnormal P[ulse] 64-70 "

Thank you Neil. I now have a reasonable sense of what it means.

Roy.

On 16/12/2018 at 11:32, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

"Flu"......... with a few scattered râles and ..... temp; then normal for 3 days after which a recurrence for 6 or 7 days and with .....râles  &.....; resonance at bases. Now practically clear & convalescent. T[emp.] still subnormal P[ulse] 64-70.

On 16/12/2018 at 11:41, Neil 2242 said:

I'll add a few more words to Dai Bach's

"Flu"......... with a few scattered râles and ..... temp; then normal for 3 days after which a recurrence for 6 or 7 days with.... râles  &.....; resonance at bases. Now practically clear & convalescent. T[emp.] still subnormal P[ulse] 64-70 "

So... which extra words were they then?