Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

arthur williams service record

neil williams

5 hours ago, MaxD said:

There is something not quite right about "L Corps 11 Corps" quoted previously.  The Corps were all numbered in latin numerals so L would be 50 but there wasn't a 50 Corps and 11 would have been XI.

According to the Royal Engineers Museum Library and Archives War Diary list “L.” Corps was originally XI Corps so that’s where the L Corps 11 Corps came from in the original post.

Steve

Hi Steve,

Yes, 'L' Corps is 11  (or XI) Corps.

I also found the paperwork earlier but posted it on the other Arthur Williams thread:

7 hours ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

Hi Steve,

Yes, 'L' Corps is 11  (or XI) Corps.

I also found the paperwork earlier but posted it on the other Arthur Williams thread

Hi Dai, good call and glad we came to the same conclusion.  I was concerned about duplicating effort and then I go and do it 😀 but at least Neil has a bit more added to the overall picture.

Steve

Thanks from me too for the clarification.

Max

PS New Year's resolutions

1.  Never contribute to a duplicate thread, that way madness lies!

2.  Make more use of LLT where answers abound!

10 minutes ago, MaxD said:

Thanks from me too for the clarification

From my experience of war diaries, I've found that the ASC for some reason are pretty consistent in their use of these letter abbreviations, and seem to use them more than other units of the British Army. Particularly with their reference to Corps Siege Parks, which are more often than not referred to as "S"  or "G" or "E" (and so on) Siege Park. But that can sometimes be confusing , especially at times of unit relocation, as they sometimes use the term for the staff, rather than the location

• Admin

Topics merged. 

Thanks to Steve and Dai Bach

On his MSM index card you say the "L" is not the corps  but his middle name but he did not have a middle name only ARTHUR

but on the Gazette  he is listed as "L" .:so am thinking it must be corps signal coy

Unless you think otherwise

Would anybody know about the 101 motor airline section and what it might cover-was it always motorised  or other form of transport used

Hope you can help

Neil

14 minutes ago, neil williams said:

Thanks to Steve and Dai Bach

On his MSM index card you say the "L" is not the corps  but his middle name but he did not have a middle name only ARTHUR

but on the Gazette  he is listed as "L" .:so am thinking it must be corps signal coy.

Neil

The entry in the London Gazette is incorrect.  As it is shown in the Gazette the positioning of the "L" and the punctuation suggests it as being his middle initial and the unit as "Corps Signal Coy." which is clearly not the case.  The MSM Index Card shows the correct unit description as "L. Corps Signal Coy." so that is what the Gazette promulgation should have read.

Steve

1 hour ago, neil williams said:

Gazette  he is listed as "L" .:so am thinking it must be corps

You are correct Neil.

As I have explained above, sometimes  Eleven Corps was written as 11 Corps, or 11th Corps, or XI corps, and sometimes the letter 'L' was used as its abbreviation so it was written a 'L' Corps!

The 'L' is his Corps, and is not part of his name.

You might like to check the war diary as I suggested earlier and which you appear to have overlooked.  The airline section was part of the Sigs company.

MaxD

Edited by MaxD
wording

thanks Max

did order war diaries  w/o 890 many pages but could not find reference to signals co and airline section is there somewhere  else to look?

Neil

Neil

The link I posted should have brought you to the page at the National Archives which has:

Catalogue descriptionCorps Troops: Corps Signal Company. Note Diaries for Dec 1917-Feb 1918 not included

Ordering and viewing options

• £3.50

• Download size approximately 14.5 MB. Download format PDF

Reference: WO 95/890/6
Description:

Corps Troops: Corps Signal Company. Note Diaries for Dec 1917-Feb 1918 not included

Etc,  Is this the one you have downloaded?

Max

Max-yes

Should i request the signal corps Dec 1917-Feb 1918 as cannot see this on the war diary as WO 95/890/6

Neil

Or will i have received this already

If you have downloaded WO 95/890/6 you have the only diary that exists for 11 Corps Signals Company Royal Engineers (of which the airline section was a small part) for Sep 1915 to Dec 1918.  The two months Dec 17 and Jan 18 are missing - often happens, they aren't anywhere else. As your man was awarded the MSM after war's end, if he is going to be mentioned anywhere then it would be in the latter part of that diary(although mentions of individual soldiers are rare).  At the very least it will enable you to get a flavour of what a Sigs Coy was doing and where.  Note that according to his MSM card, the airline section he was in was numbered 101. 

One of the men highlighted by Steve earlier was in 27 Airline Section and transferred in March 1918 to 101 Section which was also in L Corps Sig Coy so you should look out in the diary for mention of either section.  Don't be surprised if you find nothing about them,  they were just small sections contributing to the main effort of the company and may not be mentioned specifically.

Max

Edited by MaxD

On 09/12/2018 at 15:58, keithmroberts said:

Sorry to intrude, but this clip from The Long Long Trail website, which is well worth exploring in itself, answers your question Neil.  This was a newly formed battalion, so initially it would be in camp in the UK, training until the powers that be deemed it ready for overseas service.

Battalions of the Territorial Force

1/5th Battalion
August 1914 : in York. Part of West Riding Brigade, West Riding Division. Moved on 10 August to Selby, end of the month to Strenshall and late October to York. In March 1915 moved to Gainsborough.
15 April 1915 : landed at Boulogne.
15 May 1915 : formation became 146th Brigade, 49th (West Riding) Division.

Keith

Keith 

Could you possibly let me know which port Arthur Williams departed from prior to landing at Boulogne  -however i believe it was Folkestone when he departed

to land 3sept 1915 at Boulogne

Can you help?

Neil